Cannibal's Deepest Cuts

Movies, music and TV
cannibal

Cannibal's Deepest Cuts

Post by cannibal » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Here is to making your fucking eyes bleed. So buckle up for the read, or fuck off, no matter to me.

I frequently go thru my collection and pick some band I haven't listened to in ages and commit myself to going thru their entire discography, or at least try to. Why? some might ask, I say why the fuck not. I think its interesting to see how a band develops, changes, or fizzles and fades over time. Or in the case of Motorhead just fucking die with your boots on, RIP Lemmy.

Late in 2016 I started going thru a couple different discographies; one of them was Blue Oyster Cult (BOC). I think the first album I remember hearing by them was "Agents of Fortune". This was about the time I really became interested in music and every kid my age was into KISS. At the time I wasn't a huge fan of BOC (yes I was one of those twats in the KISS Army) but certainly a few songs off this album made me sit up and take notice. Reaper was a massive hit at the time and I really liked ETI, Revenge of Vera and Sinful love. I pretty much wore that middle section of the album out pretty quickly. It wasn't long before I discovered the first 3 albums as well.

I don't think anyone except a raging fucking idiot would argue against the fact that the first 4 studio albums are the best and heart of what BOC was. More hard rock, less radio friendly polished slick drivel. "Agents" was the album that began the turn of BOC towards a sound that was more accessible to the music ear of the average radio listener. Nothing wrong with radio friendly or making hits, just don't sell your fucking soul like some heroin whore settling for black tar just to stave off withdrawal pains between fixes.

By the time they released "Mirrors" BOC had firmly placed a boot in the world of mushy pop/rock bullshit. One song on the album actually hits the mark and succeeds, "You're Not The One (I Was Looking For)". "The Vigil" completely misses the mark of mushy pop rock bile, and that is a great thing because this track harkens back to the early days of Prog Rock of BOC. The rest of this album isn't worth fuel for fire.

Many or most of the professional critic cunts disparage "The Revolution By Night" for its over slick 80's production resulting in an album well; that sounded like every other 80's radio ready piss. Tho I did like this album when it was released I understand the thinking that it was generic for its time. After recently listening to it again after...well lets just say years; I loved listening to it again and again a few times. Looking at this one out of the context of the time is necessary to redeem it. There are a couple really good tracks here with some better than good filler. Ok not their best work but far better than "Club Ninja".

Ranking the albums in a quick and dirty fashion, and rank relative to BOC's own work only:

1. Agent of Fortunes
2. Tyranny And Mutation
3. Secret Treaties
4. Blue Oyster Cult

1-4 Not much daylight separates these 4. They are all fucking very good and order them anyway you want. I do always encourage new Blue Oyster Cultist to start with "Agents of Fortune" it is the one that everyone should have, so I will make that 1. For me 2 and 3 are pretty much always listened to together.

5. Extraterrestrial Live (if your only getting 1 live BOC this is the one and only to have, the meat of their live shows)
6. Fire Of Unknown Origin
7. Spectres

Again this group not much separates them from each other good albums just a few clicks off the mark that would have made them BOC classics in the vein of those ranked 1-4.

8. Cultosaurus Erectus
9. The Revolution By Night
10. The Curse of the Hidden Mirror.

Each of these 3 have some average bullshit but they do have a couple very good tracks but overall well off the mark of anything mentioned previously. I readily admit Revolution By Night is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine but I am not kidding myself into thinking it is even close to the quality of the BOC classics.

The rest well lets just say it is a pile of shit and forget about it.

Final word: Like most bands who have a decent size catalog from this era (Pre compact disc era) there is a shit load of fucking remastered and box set works. Some of it really good. In this case I would just stay away from any early CD releases and go with the later remastered stuff. Most of the first generation of CD releases are so compressed and clipped they are about as lifeless as an overdosed crack whore.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Kimmy

Re: Cannibal's Deepest Cuts

Post by Kimmy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:53 am

Oh god. It might be more autistic than Skweeeeeeeeeshit

Sin

Post by Sin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 pm

cannibal wrote:Here is to making your fucking eyes bleed. So buckle up for the read, or fuck off, no matter to me.

I frequently go thru my collection and pick some band I haven't listened to in ages and commit myself to going thru their entire discography, or at least try to. Why? some might ask, I say why the fuck not. I think its interesting to see how a band develops, changes, or fizzles and fades over time. Or in the case of Motorhead just fucking die with your boots on, RIP Lemmy.

Late in 2016 I started going thru a couple different discographies; one of them was Blue Oyster Cult (BOC). I think the first album I remember hearing by them was "Agents of Fortune". This was about the time I really became interested in music and every kid my age was into KISS. At the time I wasn't a huge fan of BOC (yes I was one of those twats in the KISS Army) but certainly a few songs off this album made me sit up and take notice. Reaper was a massive hit at the time and I really liked ETI, Revenge of Vera and Sinful love. I pretty much wore that middle section of the album out pretty quickly. It wasn't long before I discovered the first 3 albums as well.

I don't think anyone except a raging fucking idiot would argue against the fact that the first 4 studio albums are the best and heart of what BOC was. More hard rock, less radio friendly polished slick drivel. "Agents" was the album that began the turn of BOC towards a sound that was more accessible to the music ear of the average radio listener. Nothing wrong with radio friendly or making hits, just don't sell your fucking soul like some heroin whore settling for black tar just to stave off withdrawal pains between fixes.

By the time they released "Mirrors" BOC had firmly placed a boot in the world of mushy pop/rock bullshit. One song on the album actually hits the mark and succeeds, "You're Not The One (I Was Looking For)". "The Vigil" completely misses the mark of mushy pop rock bile, and that is a great thing because this track harkens back to the early days of Prog Rock of BOC. The rest of this album isn't worth fuel for fire.

Many or most of the professional critic cunts disparage "The Revolution By Night" for its over slick 80's production resulting in an album well; that sounded like every other 80's radio ready piss. Tho I did like this album when it was released I understand the thinking that it was generic for its time. After recently listening to it again after...well lets just say years; I loved listening to it again and again a few times. Looking at this one out of the context of the time is necessary to redeem it. There are a couple really good tracks here with some better than good filler. Ok not their best work but far better than "Club Ninja".

Ranking the albums in a quick and dirty fashion, and rank relative to BOC's own work only:

1. Agent of Fortunes
2. Tyranny And Mutation
3. Secret Treaties
4. Blue Oyster Cult

1-4 Not much daylight separates these 4. They are all fucking very good and order them anyway you want. I do always encourage new Blue Oyster Cultist to start with "Agents of Fortune" it is the one that everyone should have, so I will make that 1. For me 2 and 3 are pretty much always listened to together.

5. Extraterrestrial Live (if your only getting 1 live BOC this is the one and only to have, the meat of their live shows)
6. Fire Of Unknown Origin
7. Spectres

Again this group not much separates them from each other good albums just a few clicks off the mark that would have made them BOC classics in the vein of those ranked 1-4.

8. Cultosaurus Erectus
9. The Revolution By Night
10. The Curse of the Hidden Mirror.

Each of these 3 have some average bullshit but they do have a couple very good tracks but overall well off the mark of anything mentioned previously. I readily admit Revolution By Night is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine but I am not kidding myself into thinking it is even close to the quality of the BOC classics.

The rest well lets just say it is a pile of shit and forget about it.

Final word: Like most bands who have a decent size catalog from this era (Pre compact disc era) there is a shit load of fucking remastered and box set works. Some of it really good. In this case I would just stay away from any early CD releases and go with the later remastered stuff. Most of the first generation of CD releases are so compressed and clipped they are about as lifeless as an overdosed crack whore.
TFLDR, and no one really gives a fuck

Sin

Post by Sin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 pm

Kimmy wrote:Oh god. It might be more autistic than Skweeeeeeeeeshit
No Skweekyshit is more of an apsie fuckarded pecker shit cunt who dreams of Purple Drank and loves the Petrol Sniffers

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Coming soon a TLDR post on one of my all time favorite Blues-Rock muscians and in modern days a woefully overlooked artist. Could be that there are just so many very good contemporary artist in this genre but Johnny Winter was probably one of the most influential artist in the Blues revival of the 60's and then again in the revival of the mid 80's early 90's.
The illustrated man himself.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation