Cannibal Cuts

Movies, music and TV
cannibal

Cannibal Cuts

Post by cannibal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:32 am

Ramblings from me on what I am listening to, what I am enjoying or not. Input greatly appreciated as I like to hear new things or be reminded of old stuff I haven't heard in awhile.

Glenn Hughes. Here is a guy with one of the best voices in hard rock to heavy metal. He is called the "Voice of Rock" for a reason. He has worked in many different genres and with loads of different artists with different styles. Somehow everything he touches he turns to gold.

His new solo album "Resonate" comes 8 years after "First Underground Nuclear Kitchen" In between he has worked with 3 different bands putting out around 6 or 7 albums with groups like Black Country Communion, Voodoo Hill, and California Breed. All these different projects with unique sounds finds Hughes bending and crafting his voice to fit each project providing a unique fit for each. This is why I can't get tired of listening to him and anticipate each release he has worked on.

The new album "Resonate" starts right where "F.U.N.K" leaves off. Difference a little heavier and darker, slightly less funky...well at times anyways. I really enjoyed this album from start to finish. Nice to have artist still writing for album listeners like myself, we probably are a dying breed. There is a stylistic theme to the album which makes it a great spin for all 56 minutes, while avoiding major pitfall of "sameness" from track to track. He gets mired in a couple places but a organ solo, tempo change, or riff mixing is enough to snap the listener out of a lull.

End of the day a nice addition to any collection if your a hard rock fan or classic rock fan, or you just like good music. I do rate Soul Mover, Music for the Divine, and F.U.N.K as better than Resonate but it is close and the difference might just be familiarity. Time will tell.

A few tracks from the album

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

cannibal

Re: Cannibal Cuts

Post by cannibal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:55 pm

Christmas music and albums are pretty much shit. Maybe I take it all too seriously but I find most of the Christmas pop music from TV specials is shit. Crap like Rudolph and Frosty (same fucking song don't kid yourself), Santa coming to town is trite, saccharine garbage. The traditional things like carols and hymns when sung by most contemporary artist; who are just hacks relying on autotune, picked only because they are a name not because they really have the chops to pull off a traditional hymn or carol.

I typically avoid all Christmas Albums done by even my favorite artists. My only go to tradition in Christmas music is Handel's Messiah performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Philadelphia Orch. with Ormandy. I like this version because it is the one I grew up with and it has some kick in the balls. There are lots of interpretations on this work so I enjoy giving some of the others a listen as well. I know I can here the groans from those of you over there who probably have had enough of this shit being trotted out every year and having to stand for the final chorus, what a fucking bore right? Very different here in the Americas as we eschew those european traditions, I dare say most here as children or young adults have never once attended a performance or even heard the whole thing or even care. Shame as by itself Messiah is a great bit of music and not because some pompous pretentious fuck told me it was. I have always liked this one.

The other bit of "Christmas" music that I really enjoy and I listen to this song anytime of the year: Joni Mitchell's "The River". I am always moved by listening to this song it touches me right in that itty little bit of soft spot in my fucking cold dead, too small grinch heart. The frailty and innocence of Mitchell's voice coupled with a direct simple piano arrangement that echos loneliness and longing is part of Christmas people want to ignore and forget.

Curious as to what others like or listen to if anything during these festive holiday times.
We Desire Information.

Chizzyfan

Post by Chizzyfan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:01 pm

Too much reading!

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:56 pm

ok, since I am always willing to help the learning disabled...

Post 1: Glenn Hughes "Resonate" kicks ass.

Post 2: Handels Messiah great; rest of Christmas music sucks ass.
We Desire Information.

Robert Ross

Post by Robert Ross » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:07 pm

cannibal wrote:ok, since I am always willing to help the learning disabled...

Post 1: Glenn Hughes "Resonate" kicks ass.

Post 2: Handels Messiah great; rest of Christmas music sucks ass.
Can't disagree with the first post: Hughes has a great voice. And in contrast to most other artists, his voice gets better with age. Also love his contribution to the Nostradamus project a few years back, together with another great voice of rock, Joe Lynn Turner.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 am

Darts been getting in the way of listening to music. But with holidays over and the last 2 days of Lakeside darts in the background as I am sorting thru some of my collection came across a very pleasant surprise of 2016. The studio dormant Kansas waited 16 long years before releasing the album "The Prelude Implicit"

As an American youngster Kansas was part of my introduction to Prog Rock as one couldn't avoid hearing it on the radio. With Livgren and Walsh out of Kansas I had no expectation on this most recent album; trying to forget that only one of their last 6 albums was good, and one had to go back to 1977's "Point of Know Return" to find work of theirs that would knock your socks off.

I have to say right from the first track of "The Prelude Implicit" I seriously thought I was listening to vintage Kansas. This sounded almost as good and familiar as "Masque" and "Point of Know Return" The sweeping strings, keyboards and organ of that vintage sound all there and used beautifully. The Rhythm section could be punchy and upbeat with that gallop that Kansas used at times. Solid riffs punctuate in places and take over in others in that Kansesque way.

With only 2 of the original members and without the members that are credited with creating the Kansas sound, Kansas sounds more like Kansas has in like 30 some years. Even if your not familiar with Kansas this is a great listen if your a fan of classic/prog rock. Sounds familiar without being dated. Well worth giving a listen and I would say one of my favorite albums of 2016.

[youtube][/youtube]
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:26 am

The Chizzyfan version:

Kansas back after 16 years with new album "The Prelude Implicit" Awesome album listen to it in the link above.
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:11 pm

I really dislike people who complain music isn't as good as it use to be and I can't find anything I like. People who say this are fucking clueless lazy fucktards. Since the beginning of the digital age there is more access to music from a wider selection of artists, styles, sub genres, than we have ever had. Shit is literally waiting out there in cyber space for you to discover it. Clickity click click and boom open up your ears tons of music to be found on everything from spotify to youtube and sat radio as well.

So you don't like the new stuff coming out today that the radio or your music service is trying to cram down your throat. There are probably hundreds of bands from the past that you haven't heard, get on a website for music and look up similar artist. A few clicks and you should be able to find a half a dozen bands you haven't heard of or forgotten.

If your still moaning after doing that, guess what you where never interested in finding any thing new to listen to, just in it for the moan to sound like every other fucktard out there.
We Desire Information.

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Is Myles Kennedy a great vocalist , I can't make my mind up?
They're all here!

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:02 am

Tommo wrote:Is Myles Kennedy a great vocalist , I can't make my mind up?
lol well if you can't make up your mind then you have answered your own question. Great is something that jumps out and screams in your face, kicks you in the nut sack, then as your collapsing, it knees you in the face, and all the while you like it. i.e you can't miss great and you know it when you see it.

For me Myles Kennedy doesn't even register, I actually had forgotten who even was and who he even sang for and haven't listen to Alter Bridge in like 4 years. Usually I give their albums a spin once or twice when it first comes out and then off to the shelf. They sound to much like every other band that does what they do, post grunge, alt metal whatever the fuck you want to call it. End of the day doesn't have anything that draws me back to listen to it again.

One vocalist that makes me sit up and take notice coming out of that genre is Chris Cornell. Might be just because I actually am currently listening to the recent remasters of the Soundgarden discography. Cornell doesn't get drowned out or lost in the background of a song like Kennedy does. Cornell is out front and sings with some varied inflection, range and passion.
We Desire Information.

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:15 am

I thought Kennedy did a very good live rendition of "Blackbird" (I forget where, maybe Wembley?)
They're all here!

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:30 am

My recent dilemma, I spent the last 8 months going thru the entire Hawkwind discography, trying to figure out if I even liked this band. One minute I was ok I enjoy it I get it, then the next minute I was like wtf are these drug riddled retards doing and this sucks. Interesting thing is I couldn't stop listening to them as it was just some weird stuff at times that I just had to listen.

End of the day Hawkwind and John Coltrane are in the same category, some of the stuff I really enjoy and dig. The rest of it just leaves me shrugging my shoulders thinking what the hell was that?
We Desire Information.

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Hawkwind have done some great music and some shit stuff but always good live. Favourite track I have valium ten is on the b side of a 12". Not to impressed with A side which was a strange version of Motorhead's Motorhead.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Stoner Rock, Dessert Rock, Stoner Metal, whatever you call it.....Grab your bong and set the bud ablaze, because this shit rocks. Droids Attack just may have found the way to the mother lode of fuzz distorted riffs that could propel them into recognition. Their album "Sci-Fi Or Die" is exactly whats I likes to hear out of this kind of music. That is a balance of drone, fuzz, distortion, down tuning, riffs, and trippy groovy shit. Just the right doses of all the right ingredients to enhance your buzz as the smoke fills the room lulling the listener into a foggy haze of trippy other worldliness.

[youtube][/youtube]
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:56 pm

For Chizzyfan the short version, just go listen to this
takes you right to the track Mashenomak Strikes Again
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:05 am

Just read that The Obsessed will be releasing a new album April 7th titled Sacred. This release coming quickly on the heels of their last release some 20 years ago. Always liked the work of Scott Wino Weinrich in the various bands he has been involved in like Saint Vitus, Spirit Caravan, Shrinebuilder to name some of them.
The Obsessed wasn't prolific in making albums but what they did release was 3 albums that I would describe as some of the best examples of what doom metal is.
The album Lunar Womb still gets played alot around my house
[youtube][/youtube]

The artwork on the album cover has an interesting history for anyone interested it is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Devouring_His_Son

And a new track from the album Sacred
[youtube][/youtube]
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 pm

lately nothing been grabbing me by the nutsack. Greatly disappointed by the Drive-By Truckers latest album and Julian Sas too. 2 artist who I pretty much think everything they have done had been gold but not impressed on the last efforts.

So have been going back thru the Deep Purple discography listening to a lot of remastered and reissues. The live stuff remastered is great because enhanced sound quality and additional tracks and in some cases entire shows from other nights on the same tour. Box set for the made in Japan 3 additional nights of recordings plus encores.

Hindsight have to say the Mark III's lineup has become my favorite, when I was younger it was easily the Mark II's.
We Desire Information.

Sin

Post by Sin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:15 pm

TL;DR

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Animals as Leaders not so much a band that makes some great music as they are a group of travelers on a musical odyssey. A few years ago I heard about an album "The Joy Of Motion" and how it was getting rave reviews from critics across the various genres of music. I gave it a listen and was blown away. Forget about genres, leave your preconceived notions behind, open your mind and ears and enjoy when listening to these guys play.

Their latest album "The Madness of Many" is another fascinating listen that proves these guys are developing and progressing the language of their style of music. This is a cohesive construction of brilliance that displays how good these guys are as musicians and composers. Yet each has the opportunity to stretch out and be their own person. I particularly like the interplay between the guitars. The use of 8 string guitars by both players creates an interesting dynamic between both guitarist switching up their roles between bass and lead or lead and rhythm or whatever it is they are doing in the track. Not the traditional approach by any means but it results in a sound that is somewhat familiar if you like guitar virtuoso. But the existence of something fresh and exciting is really what comes across and puts this band on the cutting edge of doing something really cool.

Here are some tracks off "The Madness of Many" that I like

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Here is a track off "The Joy of Motion"

[youtube][/youtube]

And another thrown in for good measure to demonstrate how these guitarist play together.

[youtube][/youtube]
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:42 pm

So long Chuck, thanks for the music.

[youtube][/youtube]
We Desire Information.