JAM Jazz Appreciation Month

Movies, music and TV
cannibal

JAM Jazz Appreciation Month

Post by cannibal » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:26 pm

April is Jazz Appreciation month in the colonies. Most of what we have as far as culture is directly attributable to the influence of the mother land. One of the things as Americans we can lay claim to as our own is Jazz music. A true American art form. Being a lover of music and of good music in particular I always make a point of listening to more Jazz than I normally do and paw thru my music archives to dust off a few albums I haven't listened to in a while. I also like to take the time to seek out some new artist or music styles that I generally don't listen to in order to expand my horizons and just enjoy the journey of life.

So if anyone is interested in indulging me I will post a few things over the next 2 weeks on stuff that I am listening to. Please feel free to contribute as I am always interested in hearing what people like and don't like. And by all means feel free to recommend some albums or artist to listen to as I am always seeking out new stuff.

IMHO any discussion of Jazz should always start with one album and many would argue one of the most important albums in American music history: Miles Davis "Kind of Blue". Pretty much everything Miles touched is brilliant he was a master and innovator, never staying in one musical mode for long, but long enough to see it to its fruition and move on. Miles developed several distinct approaches to jazz. "Kind of Blue" displays all the glory of the modal approach. It helps that legends of jazz such as John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, and Gil Evans worked with Miles on this venture. The experience of the group was essential to know how to work and think like Miles so the fact that there was little to no rehearsal for the sessions was par for the course as that is how Miles liked it. Typically Miles would give an idea or theme, with some basic melodic lines and scales, i.e. the mode and then just set to recording. The result was "Kind of Blue" one of the greatest Jazz Albums of all time and became an influence even in Rock music. End of the day who really cares about all that right, as Duke Ellington use to say "it only matters if it swings" meaning if you liked it that is good enough. So give it a listen.
[youtube][/youtube]
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Justin Credible

Re: JAM Jazz Appreciation Month

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:36 pm

biggest jazz festival in europe happens in my home town

its sucks

Retarded local cunts hear a whiff and think they are cultured, pissheads use it as an excuse to make even bigger dickheads of themselves
insecure cunts thinks it makes this dump somehow less of a shithole
The cultural elite, which is on a par with the least mentally retarded in a spastic village think they educate people
Hungry publican bastards rip of everyone they can before crying they are struggling to make a living

People thick as pigshit all seem to be overnight experts on jazz , its influences, roots etc and somehow a thick toothless irish mick can relate to jazz

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:10 am

what happens when 3 great bass players get together......... Thunder. Also an Album by Clarke, Wooten and Miller. They put the bass up front as the lead instrument. Thunder is an album it is just fun to listen to. Here they are performing a few tracks off that album
minute 13:30 Wooten Pyrotechnics on bass
18:30 Clarke showing his talents on the upright bass
The whole show is well worth watching.

[youtube][/youtube]
We Desire Information.

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:49 pm

I've been checking out ken burns' "jazz" documentary series that's been being shown on PBS .
it's pretty good.

speaking of bass players, I saw jaco pastorious.
he was crazy, but he was great live.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:51 pm

thats nice

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:16 pm

why thank-you!
I appreciate your appreciation, sir.
cannonball is a genius the way he cleverly titled this thread.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:13 pm

I liked the Burns documentary Jazz as I have a great interest in history and find the progression of music and its influences absolutely fascinating. It doesn't always work or go the way many think. One of the things Burns does which I think is a detriment to his works is the heavy emphasis on the early part of his films. Far to elaborate at times and I think by the time you get into the thick of his works your just tired. So often times the coming of full circle and understanding how we got to where we did in history just doesn't have the impact it should.

JAM wasn't my designation it is the one given by the fellow at the Smithsonian who started it.

Jaco is incredible, I particularly like the stuff he did with Joni Mitchell as I am a big fan of hers.
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Takuya Kuroda is a very interesting artist. I like his tone and approach. Blend of Hip Hop, African influences, funk and bop, resulting in very enjoyable listen. What I like about this is the way the influences and sounds are weaved together and just work and flow. Often times an artist I think apes a sound or lays an influence on top of the work instead of making it integrated into his own current sound. Certainly look forward to hearing more of the artist in the future but for now, this album has been getting regular play in the rotation and melds nicely with my love for Afrobeat.

[youtube][/youtube]
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:31 pm

....and here are the results of 3 great guitarist getting together on a summers night.

[youtube][/youtube]
We Desire Information.