THE TV SHOW THREAD - *** NO SPOILERS ***

Movies, music and TV
Rogg

Re: THE TV SHOW THREAD - *** NO SPOILERS ***

Post by Rogg » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:An article here on the Commodore one heh:

When good TV goes bad: the moment Columbo’s case went cold
It wasn’t the 10-year break in the 80s that did for the crumpled detective, but rather a truly berserk episode from season five

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -the-shark
The 70s ones are generally better but several of the later ones rank among my favourites.
The one at the playboy mansion I loved.
Looking forward to all of them :) think I'm just over halfway through now.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:An article here on the Commodore one heh:

When good TV goes bad: the moment Columbo’s case went cold
It wasn’t the 10-year break in the 80s that did for the crumpled detective, but rather a truly berserk episode from season five

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -the-shark
The 70s ones are generally better but several of the later ones rank among my favourites.
The one at the playboy mansion I loved.
Looking forward to all of them :) think I'm just over halfway through now.
I'd love to have them all to watch again for the first time.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Any thoughts on 'Mrs Columbo', Randall? There are 2 eps on the set I got.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Rogg wrote:Any thoughts on 'Mrs Columbo', Randall? There are 2 eps on the set I got.
I really didn't like it mate

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:Any thoughts on 'Mrs Columbo', Randall? There are 2 eps on the set I got.
Is the correct answer I suspect. I'll get round to watching them eventually but they are a crude and tacky idea.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:
Is the correct answer I suspect. I'll get round to watching them eventually but they are a crude and tacky idea.
To be honest I only remember that I didn't like it at all.
As to why, that has passed from my memory.

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Westworld is back on... Season 2
YORKSHIRE GRIT

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Wolflanternbumbag wrote:Westworld is back on... Season 2
Recording that, and season two of timeless.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:05 pm

William Shatner, Randall! Good lord does Columbo play dumb in this one. Even I want to flatten the tramp.

Lovely scene where Shatner's character is filming Columbo to demonstrate how the tv equipment works. Think the muckin about and the giggling there is genuine, maybe even a bit of improv going on. Sweet.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:25 pm

Rogg wrote:William Shatner, Randall! Good lord does Columbo play dumb in this one. Even I want to flatten the tramp.

Lovely scene where Shatner's character is filming Columbo to demonstrate how the tv equipment works. Think the muckin about and the giggling there is genuine, maybe even a bit of improv going on. Sweet.
Yes, I like that one as well.

Sadly he left stage make up on his mask and the victim must have had her hands up when the fatal shot was fired. Who runs for their life with their hands up!

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:William Shatner, Randall! Good lord does Columbo play dumb in this one. Even I want to flatten the tramp.

Yes, I like that one as well.

Sadly he left stage make up on his mask and the victim must have had her hands up when the fatal shot was fired. Who runs for their life with their hands up!
That's the one. There was a quite disturbing split personality thing going on with him, where he was muddying the distinction between himself and the detective character he played in his TV show. Very good indeed. I bet Shatner and Falk had a bloody ball making it.

...So Shatner drugs a man and changes the time on his watch to trick him, then changes it back afterwards, but he changes it back to the exact time - which is a giveaway because the fella always kept his watch 5mins fast. I've seen that used as a clue before somewhere, can't remember where though. Any thoughts?
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 pm

Hmm, does ring a bell.
Didn't nimoy do that and then smash the watch when he was the killer doctor? Or something similar?

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:06 pm

Randall wrote:Hmm, does ring a bell.
Didn't nimoy do that and then smash the watch when he was the killer doctor? Or something similar?
ooh could be. I don't remember it though. It's annoying.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:Hmm, does ring a bell.
ooh could be. I don't remember it though. It's annoying.
I can picture somebody smashing a watch to fix the time of an alibi.
Actually I think it was one of the Cassidy ones where he played Riley greenleaf, he killed the guy whose work he had plagerised?

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:00 am

No it wasn't!
At 1am this morning it came to me.
It was candidate for crime, he adjusted the watch on his advisor to fix his alibi.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Randall wrote:No it wasn't!
It was candidate for crime, he adjusted the watch on his advisor to fix his alibi.
1am! right, I remember that episode but details have become a bit sketchy in my head. Col sticking paper cars on a board to demonstrate the eye witness angles was funny, a bit Jonathan Creek.

I'm thinking there was an Ellery Queen episode as well where this exact clue is used. A bit tedious but tbf nobody was ever expected to binge on these shows like a maniac.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:35 pm

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:No it wasn't!
1am! right, I remember that episode but details have become a bit sketchy in my head. Col sticking paper cars on a board to demonstrate the eye witness angles was funny, a bit Jonathan Creek.

I'm thinking there was an Ellery Queen episode as well where this exact clue is used. A bit tedious but tbf nobody was ever expected to binge on these shows like a maniac.
He got his agent to dress up as him so he could dodge police and get to his wife's party.
Killed him and made out it was him meant to be killed.. It dawned on me because I remembered columnbo saying his watch didn't match his clothing.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Lovely stuff.

Speaking of clothing as a clue, last night watched 'Old-Fashioned Murder'. Didn't much like it. Apparent robbery at night and two dead bodies in a museum. Three mad women about the place, one of whom is a twat that keeps fainting. Columbo gets a hairdo and manicure so that he can speak to the dead man's hairdresser. Wish they'd avoid daft comedy unless it's with the great dog.

One of the dead men (who earned barely any money) is found wearing a complete outfit of new and expensive clothes. Dodgy much. Plus if the two men shot each other dead at night and both died in that very room as a result (sounds legit so far!), how come the lights were off in the morning? #Randalliscolumbo
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Rogg wrote:Lovely stuff.

Speaking of clothing as a clue, last night watched 'Old-Fashioned Murder'. Didn't much like it. Apparent robbery at night and two dead bodies in a museum. Three mad women about the place, one of whom is a twat that keeps fainting. Columbo gets a hairdo and manicure so that he can speak to the dead man's hairdresser. Wish they'd avoid daft comedy unless it's with the great dog.

One of the dead men (who earned barely any money) is found wearing a complete outfit of new and expensive clothes. Dodgy much. Plus if the two men shot each other dead at night and both died in that very room as a result (sounds legit so far!), how come the lights were off in the morning? #Randalliscolumbo
I'm drawing a blank on this one!

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:Lovely stuff.

I'm drawing a blank on this one!
No! It wasn't very good tbf. The women were annoying and the 'comedy' was tedious. So far you've had no memory of only two eps that I've mentioned, and they've been the only two I haven't liked. Not memorable, understandably.

The woman paid him 3k to stage the robbery for the insurance money, and he bought new clothes with it and planned to go abroad straight after. She shot both men herself and carelessly switched the lights off afterwards - she was obsessed with keeping energy bills low because the museum was losing money, which is why she killed the other man (he was going to sell it, and it was all she had in her life). There was a large belt buckle mistaken for an ashtray if that helps. Other such bla bla about some bloke, uch.
not a girl