Movies, music and TV
Randall
Site Admin

Re: THE TV SHOW THREAD - *** NO SPOILERS ***

Post by Randall » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:Lovely stuff.

Speaking of clothing as a clue, last night watched 'Old-Fashioned Murder'. Didn't much like it. Apparent robbery at night and two dead bodies in a museum. Three mad women about the place, one of whom is a twat that keeps fainting. Columbo gets a hairdo and manicure so that he can speak to the dead man's hairdresser. Wish they'd avoid daft comedy unless it's with the great dog.

One of the dead men (who earned barely any money) is found wearing a complete outfit of new and expensive clothes. Dodgy much. Plus if the two men shot each other dead at night and both died in that very room as a result (sounds legit so far!), how come the lights were off in the morning? #Randalliscolumbo
I'm drawing a blank on this one!
No! It wasn't very good tbf. The women were annoying and the 'comedy' was tedious. So far you've had no memory of only two eps that I've mentioned, and they've been the only two I haven't liked. Not memorable, understandably.

The woman paid him 3k to stage the robbery for the insurance money, and he bought new clothes with it and planned to go abroad straight after. She shot both men herself and carelessly switched the lights off afterwards - she was obsessed with keeping energy bills low because the museum was losing money, which is why she killed the other man (he was going to sell it, and it was all she had in her life). There was a large belt buckle mistaken for an ashtray if that helps. Other such bla bla about some bloke, uch.
Looked it up on imdb and still don't remember it.
Did notice one of my favourites is next though.
The one at the mensa club.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Ah yes, the housekeeper hated him smoking, and making a mess, remember that.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Randall wrote:Did notice one of my favourites is next though.
An elaborate one! Absolutely fantastic pacey cut cut cut final sequence. A storm raging outside, Columbo taunting the murderer by trampling his ego and insecurity hoping he'll break and incriminate himself. Which he does. Nicked his brolly too.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:22 pm

aaand the 70s coming to an end, onto Try and Catch Me with the murder mystery writer woman.

Tension of the heavy walk-in safe door being open with two somewhat dubious individuals walking about, both of whom you think might be about to kill the other, is a bit Hitchcock.

Alright then Rand. What 'dying clue' does the dead lad leave inside the safe?
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:21 am

Rogg wrote:aaand the 70s coming to an end, onto Try and Catch Me with the murder mystery writer woman.

Tension of the heavy walk-in safe door being open with two somewhat dubious individuals walking about, both of whom you think might be about to kill the other, is a bit Hitchcock.

Love that one.
The manuscript for her next book, the night I was murdered was in the safe. he had used his last match to scratch out pieces and leave Columbo a death bed message.

"I was murdered" by abigail Mitchell.
Arrows pointed the way.
He had murdered her niece, Columbo couldn't bring himself to let her off though.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:30 am

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:Did notice one of my favourites is next though.
An elaborate one! Absolutely fantastic pacey cut cut cut final sequence. A storm raging outside, Columbo taunting the murderer by trampling his ego and insecurity hoping he'll break and incriminate himself. Which he does. Nicked his brolly too.
Couldnt help but show how much smarter than Columbo he was!

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 am

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:aaand the 70s coming to an end, onto Try and Catch Me with the murder mystery writer woman.

Love that one.
The manuscript for her next book, the night I was murdered was in the safe. he had used his last match to scratch out pieces and leave Columbo a death bed message.

"I was murdered" by Scott Mitchell.
Arrows pointed the way.
He had murdered her niece, Columbo couldn't bring himself to let her off though.
Great stuff. And rolled it up inside the light bulb mechanism up on the ceiling. For a supposedly acclaimed murder mystery genius her cover-up is shoddy. That she plants the dead man's car keys in the already carefully examined garden is very lame.

So he was buried alive effectively. This death seems the most shocking so far I think alongside the Mexico ep where the cunt shoots a tranquiliser dart at the dude then sets a bull on him.

Satisfying scene where she flirts with Columbo who's been playing kindly with his dog, and he shifts to put her right in her place.

-I'm becoming very fond of you. I think you're a very kind man.
-Don't count on that, Miss Mitchell. *leans in, deadly serious, low voice:* Don't count on it. Shudder.
not a girl

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:20 pm

What the fuck
YORKSHIRE GRIT

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:

Love that one.

"I was murdered" by Scott Mitchell.
Arrows pointed the way.
Great stuff. And rolled it up inside the light bulb mechanism up on the ceiling. For a supposedly acclaimed murder mystery genius her cover-up is shoddy. That she plants the dead man's car keys in the already carefully examined garden is very lame.

So he was buried alive effectively. This death seems the most shocking so far I think alongside the Mexico ep where the cunt shoots a tranquiliser dart at the dude then sets a bull on him.

Satisfying scene where she flirts with Columbo who's been playing kindly with his dog, and he shifts to put her right in her place.

-I'm becoming very fond of you. I think you're a very kind man.
-Don't count on that, Miss Mitchell. *leans in, deadly serious, low voice:* Don't count on it. Shudder.
Her assistant was a bit of a cow as well

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:01 pm

Randall wrote:Her assistant was a bit of a cow as well
Yes she found the bloke's car keys and knew he'd returned, suspected her boss, and set about a bit of low key blackmail. Why did her boss 'hide' them in such a visible spot in the first place? In the sand of the pillar things in the hallway. She was all over the place.

Btw noticed at fifth glance that it was Jamie Lee Curtis playing a dougnut nazi waitress in a recent ep.

not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Now I'm trying to remember what episode that is!

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Randall wrote:Now I'm trying to remember what episode that is!
The Sky High IQ thing I think, the mensa club ep.

Just watched the blowfish poison one. Possibly unique in that you're only partially shown how the killer did it. You don't see how the poison actually got into the victim, gotta wait til the very end for that. Columbo Selecta keeps being offered food and especially enjoys the mushrooms stuffed with crab. Oh dear.

Most are sympathetic to some extent but this was one of the real nasty bastard killers. So Rand, what does Columbo say is the thing that gave away the killer within 2 minutes of meeting him?
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Rogg wrote:

Just watched the blowfish poison one. Possibly unique in that you're only partially shown how the killer did it. You don't see how the poison actually got into the victim, gotta wait til the very end for that. Columbo Selecta keeps being offered food and especially enjoys the mushrooms stuffed with crab. Oh dear.

Most are sympathetic to some extent but this was one of the real nasty bastard killers. So Rand, what does Columbo say is the thing that gave away the killer within 2 minutes of meeting him?
I remember the episode but the specific ending I'm struggling to call to mind.
Remember he tried to poison Columbo as well.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:

The killer giveaway was when he told the man, who'd been having dinner with the victim that evening, that the cause of death was poisoning, and when reacting the man wasn't at all alarmed for his own health. Major clue. I missed it completely obvs.

The poison was in the wine. He did indeed try to poison Columbo's wine but Col is onto him and swapped the glasses, will use the poisoned wine as evidence. He'd injected poison into the point of the bottle opener or something, I didn't really understand the business about the mechanism.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:57 am

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:

The killer giveaway was when he told the man, who'd been having dinner with the victim that evening, that the cause of death was poisoning, and when reacting the man wasn't at all alarmed for his own health. Major clue. I missed it completely obvs.

The poison was in the wine. He did indeed try to poison Columbo's wine but Col is onto him and swapped the glasses, will use the poisoned wine as evidence. He'd injected poison into the point of the bottle opener or something, I didn't really understand the business about the mechanism.
Ah yes.
Columbo was on his TV show as I recall.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 am

No, the TV show one was a much earlier episode. This guy was a world famous food critic, and he was extorting money from chefs for favourable reviews. He murdered the one who had decided to turn the tables on him.

'Rosebud,' Randall. Ring a bell? Pun intended probly...
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:56 am

Rogg wrote:No, the TV show one was a much earlier episode. This guy was a world famous food critic, and he was extorting money from chefs for favourable reviews. He murdered the one who had decided to turn the tables on him.

Ah right, I'm getting confused.

Rosebud is the one with the attack dogs, programmed to attack when the phone rings, until Columbo reconditions them.
Like that one.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:06 am

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:No, the TV show one was a much earlier episode. This guy was a world famous food critic, and he was extorting money from chefs for favourable reviews. He murdered the one who had decided to turn the tables on him.

Rosebud is the one with the attack dogs, programmed to attack when the phone rings, until Columbo reconditions them.
Like that one.
Yap, very good indeed.
And cuz his dogs were the murder weapon and still programmed, he tries to get rid of them first with poison, and when that fails by using his influence on the animal board to have them destroyed. Bleak. The clue of sudden activity on the cardiogram(?) makes a return in this one, last used with Robert Vaughn on the cruise ship.

How does Columbo find out what the attack word is?
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:20 am

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:

Like that one.
Yap, very good indeed.
And cuz his dogs were the murder weapon and still programmed, he tries to get rid of them first with poison, and when that fails by using his influence on the animal board to have them destroyed. Bleak. The clue of sudden activity on the cardiogram(?) makes a return in this one, last used with Robert Vaughn on the cruise ship.

Didn't he tape record a conversation with him and play it back to the dogs? They hear the word rosebud and go nuts.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:34 am

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:

Like that one.
Yap, very good indeed.

Didn't he tape record a conversation with him and play it back to the dogs? They hear the word rosebud and go nuts.
Correct. Secretly records him while playing a word association game, hoping he'll let the word slip. He realises what's happening and is careful not to, but then lets it slip when Columbo is leaving. Debatable if it's sickening arrogance or an accident that he flaunts the word right at him at that point. It's all on the tape. All that matters by the end is the way C keeps saying 'dorrrrrg'. :lol:
not a girl