THE TV SHOW THREAD - *** NO SPOILERS ***

Movies, music and TV
Randall
Site Admin

Re: THE TV SHOW THREAD - *** NO SPOILERS ***

Post by Randall » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:08 am

Rogg wrote:Alright then. Psychiatrist kills a man and covers it up shabbily with the help of a hypnotised milf, then when she's proper losing her marbles over it he uses hypnotic suggestion to make her jump to her death from a fifth floor balcony that she believes is a diving board. He eventually gives himself away when Columbo tricks him into placing himself at the scene of the original murder.

Randall will reveal how he does it.
He knew the "witness" to the crime was blind.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:41 am

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:Alright then. Psychiatrist kills a man and covers it up shabbily with the help of a hypnotised milf, then when she's proper losing her marbles over it he uses hypnotic suggestion to make her jump to her death from a fifth floor balcony that she believes is a diving board. He eventually gives himself away when Columbo tricks him into placing himself at the scene of the original murder.

Very good! He got into a right panic when the blind man (not the real blind man, not blind at all, a Columbo plant) began identifying him.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:04 am

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:

Very good! He got into a right panic when the blind man (not the real blind man, not blind at all, a Columbo plant) began identifying him.
Remember it well, another arrogant sod who thought columbo was beneath him.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 pm

Actress shoots her husband and tells Col that she was watching one of her old movies downstairs in their home theatre at the time of the murder, and insists that she never left the room. Her butler confirms that he set up the film reels for her, which are in a separate room, at 11pm, and played the movie, and that he saw her in there later still watching it when it finished at 1am.

So what's the problem with her alibi? Randall will say.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:41 pm

Rogg wrote:Actress shoots her husband and tells Col that she was watching one of her old movies downstairs in their home theatre at the time of the murder, and insists that she never left the room. Her butler confirms that he set up the film reels for her, which are in a separate room, at 11pm, and played the movie, and that he saw her in there later still watching it when it finished at 1am.

The film played for too long, because when she got back from the deed the reel had broken and she repaired it.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 pm

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:Actress shoots her husband and tells Col that she was watching one of her old movies downstairs in their home theatre at the time of the murder, and insists that she never left the room. Her butler confirms that he set up the film reels for her, which are in a separate room, at 11pm, and played the movie, and that he saw her in there later still watching it when it finished at 1am.

The film played for too long, because when she got back from the deed the reel had broken and she repaired it.
Correct. He checked the length of the film (imdb obvs) and it was only 1h45, not 2h. He could see where she'd cut it to repair it, and he saw it only takes 3mins to repair a reel when he tricked her into demonstrating... which left 12mins she couldn't account for. Plenty of time to do the murder upstairs and return if you climb down the tree round the back. What about his dog! :)
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 pm

The spy kills another one under the pier at night. He says he was in his office at the time of the murder, and can prove it with a voice recording of a speech that he was practising in there at the time. He actually made the recording the morning after the murder, and rolled his clock so it chimes 11 in the background on the tape. 11pm you see, the time of the murder.

But something on the tape gives away precisely when it was made and crashes his attempt at an alibi. What? A fucking idiotic error tbf.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 am

Rogg wrote:The spy kills another one under the pier at night. He says he was in his office at the time of the murder, and can prove it with a voice recording of a speech that he was practising in there at the time. He actually made the recording the morning after the murder, and rolled his clock so it chimes 11 in the background on the tape. 11pm you see, the time of the murder.

But something on the tape gives away precisely when it was made and crashes his attempt at an alibi. What? A fucking idiotic error tbf.
It's one of the episodes with Leslie nelson isn't it?
If memory serves, he said something in the speech he heard on the morning news that he couldn't have known at 11pm because it hadn't happened.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:36 am

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:The spy kills another one under the pier at night. He says he was in his office at the time of the murder, and can prove it with a voice recording of a speech that he was practising in there at the time. He actually made the recording the morning after the murder, and rolled his clock so it chimes 11 in the background on the tape. 11pm you see, the time of the murder.

If memory serves, he said something in the speech he heard on the morning news that he couldn't have known at 11pm because it hadn't happened.
He is in it yes. You are correct. There are two things on the recording, one suspicious and one a complete giveaway. You hear him closing his blinds, which you're arguably not likely to do at 11pm. And the news he mentioned was about China pulling out of the Olympics, news which didn't break until the morning after the murder. Dopey.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:49 am

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:

He is in it yes. You are correct. There are two things on the recording, one suspicious and one a complete giveaway. You hear him closing his blinds, which you're arguably not likely to do at 11pm. And the news he mentioned was about China pulling out of the Olympics, news which didn't break until the morning after the murder. Dopey.
Nelson was in another of my favourites where he played the boyfriend of the killer.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:30 pm

Oh Randall. The nazi magician one is superb. Along with Spock and the cruise ship, my favourite so far. I'll have forgotten a few mind.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:14 am

Rogg wrote:Oh Randall. The nazi magician one is superb. Along with Spock and the cruise ship, my favourite so far. I'll have forgotten a few mind.
Yes, very good.
Cassidy was a killer in a few of them, my favourite where he played the author.
He died not long after in a tragic accident.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:02 am

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:Oh Randall. The nazi magician one is superb. Along with Spock and the cruise ship, my favourite so far. I'll have forgotten a few mind.
Yes, very good.
Cassidy was a killer in a few of them, my favourite where he played the author.
He died not long after in a tragic accident.
That is sad.

The moment during his magic show where Columbo challenges him to pick the lock of his handcuffs... It dawns on him that Columbo suspects him re the picking of the unpickable lock at the murder scene.

So if he picks this lock successfully then he'll give himself away, but he must do it for the sake of his audience. He does it, with a horrified expression on his face, then close-up on Columbo "I knew you could do it sir" then winks at him. Creepy cunt! Magnificent.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Final ep of Columbo Series 5, 'Last Salute to the Commodore'.

What the utter fuck?
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Rogg wrote:Final ep of Columbo Series 5, 'Last Salute to the Commodore'.

What the utter fuck?
I actually had to Google that one, probably a reason I can't remember it that well?

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Randall wrote:

What the utter fuck?
I actually had to Google that one, probably a reason I can't remember it that well?
You may remember the ending. In the harbour, he asks a fellow officer to light his cigar, and officer says 'I thought you were giving it up', and Columbo says 'Not yet' and smiles knowingly, which seems like a reference to his career.

Chuckling to himself, he climbs into a rowing boat and rows out to sea, saying he's off to find his wife. It feels the whole show is ending. His behaviour the whole way through is very odd, and the traditional formula is fucked about with too. We don't find out whoddunnit until the very end and it's so weak. Hard to know what to make of it! Was it meant to be a joke or something?
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:

What the utter fuck?
You may remember the ending. In the harbour, he asks a fellow officer to light his cigar, and officer says 'I thought you were giving it up', and Columbo says 'Not yet' and smiles knowingly, which seems like a reference to his career.

Chuckling to himself, he climbs into a rowing boat and rows out to sea, saying he's off to find his wife. It feels the whole show is ending. His behaviour the whole way through is very odd, and the traditional formula is fucked about with too. We don't find out whoddunnit until the very end and it's so weak. Hard to know what to make of it! Was it meant to be a joke or something?
He very read the synopsis on imdb and while some of the pictures ring a bell I cannot place it at all.
The ones I don't like I don't repeat watch so that would be why.
Have you seen the one in England yet?
That really is awful.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:27 pm

I have seen the England one yes. It was a bit twee but I didn't think it was bad, assuming we mean the same ep. That's quite an early one though and my standards are higher now I've seen so many great ones.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:30 pm

An article here on the Commodore one heh:

When good TV goes bad: the moment Columbo’s case went cold
It wasn’t the 10-year break in the 80s that did for the crumpled detective, but rather a truly berserk episode from season five

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -the-shark
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Rogg wrote:An article here on the Commodore one heh:

When good TV goes bad: the moment Columbo’s case went cold
It wasn’t the 10-year break in the 80s that did for the crumpled detective, but rather a truly berserk episode from season five

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -the-shark
The 70s ones are generally better but several of the later ones rank among my favourites.
The one at the playboy mansion I loved.