Your Favourite Live Sporting Moments

Life would be boring without it!
Captain Hobo

Your Favourite Live Sporting Moments

Post by Captain Hobo » Thu May 14, 2020 12:59 am

I've just been watching highlights from the 1996 AFL Pre-season Grand Final between St Kilda and Carlton, and thought it might be fun to share some memories of that night, and maybe some other people might like to share their favourites. It was literally the best night of my football-following life, and if you know how unsuccessful St Kilda have been, you will understand why.

OK, I'm as bored as Randall. More to come. And I just realised the whole match is on Youtube too.

"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

Captain Hobo

Re: Your Favourite Live Sporting Moments

Post by Captain Hobo » Thu May 14, 2020 1:12 am

Ok, getting to the ground. Went with my mum and younger brother. It was at Waverley (formerly VFL) Park in Melbourne. The ground hosted the 1991 Grand Final when the Southern Stand at the MCG was being built and crowd that day was 75,000, and it wouldn't have seen that many since.

The previous year's Pre-season Grand Final had 39,000.
We turned up quite early, and the lines were crazy. St Kilda had a lot of supporters in the area and a good young team. I remember hearing the fireworks from outside, and we finally got in just after the game started. There were no seats so we had to sit in the aisle. The 'Official' crowd they gave was 66,888, but don't believe that. There was 80,000 there, at least. You can see how packed it is in the highlights.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Thu May 14, 2020 1:19 am

Watching back the highlights, it's incredible how many good players the Saints had, and disappointing it never amounted to any real Premierships.

Nicky Winmar was Best on Ground, Robert Harvey, Nathan Burke, Stewart Loewe, Peter 'Spida' Everitt all genuine stars. So many good young players too.

We actually missed the finals in 1996. We finished top in 1997 and were favorites for the Grand Final, but both our ruckmen got injured late in the season and we lost to Adelaide. Halfway through 1998 we were top of the ladder but then completely collapsed and didn't play Finals again until 2004.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Thu May 14, 2020 1:22 am

Waverley Park closed at the end of 1999 and St Kilda moved home games to Docklands (now Marvel Stadium), and nothing after that has ever meant as much.

Incidentally I was also there in 1996 when the lights went out in a regular season match against Essendon. Not so many people there that night but crazy scenes.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu May 14, 2020 7:29 am

Watched "live" even If on tv hankeys "stroke"

At the venue probably seeing wasim, waqar, Curtley etc from close range though i wouldn't have wanted to see them from 22 yards.
Shane warne as well

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Thu May 14, 2020 8:43 am

Would you believe I literally cannot remember the last International Cricket match I was at live?

Probably a Boxing Day Test in early 2000s. Just can't be bothered going these days.

I was there for at least Day 3 of 1998, but watched the disaster on Day 4 on TV.

Stuart MacGill somehow made 43 that day. I remember Gough bowled an over to him and literally beat the bat 6 times.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/158 ... ia-1998-99

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu May 14, 2020 9:40 am

I remember seeing waqar bowl to robin Smith.
I swear he came into his delivery stride and the ball hit the square boundary in front of me at what seemed the exact same moment

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Sun May 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Too many to list in one post, I'll start with watching the magician, Shane Warne bowling in Adelaide and Perth on the 2002/2003 ashes tour, the atmosphere when they chucked him the ball changed in an instant, fabulous to be there

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Tue May 19, 2020 9:24 am

England v Pakistan at Lords 1978, my first trip to HQ with my Dad ( RIP) and we witnessed Ian Botham destroying them with both bat and ball, fantastic stuff.

Safc

Post by Safc » Tue May 26, 2020 7:14 pm

This for me best match I've ever been to even better than the six wins in a row vs The Mags

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Thu May 28, 2020 3:19 am

Good memories Safc. A pity about the Final result though.

Reminds me of St Kilda's Preliminary Final win in 1997 against North Melbourne. We were big underdogs that night. Check the tackle at 1.48 that took out their 2nd best player.

Most of the empty seats towards the end are St Kilda fans who have left early to go and line up for Grand Final tickets. It was our first Grand Final for 26 years. We got smashed by Adelaide, and still haven't won a Premiership since.

Safc

Post by Safc » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:50 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:19 am Good memories Safc. A pity about the Final result though.

Reminds me of St Kilda's Preliminary Final win in 1997 against North Melbourne. We were big underdogs that night. Check the tackle at 1.48 that took out their 2nd best player.

Most of the empty seats towards the end are St Kilda fans who have left early to go and line up for Grand Final tickets. It was our first Grand Final for 26 years. We got smashed by Adelaide, and still haven't won a Premiership since.
I wouldn't change supporting Safc for anything we might be shit but it makes the small special bits extra special

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:33 am

Safc wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:50 pm
Captain Hobo wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:19 am Good memories Safc. A pity about the Final result though.

I wouldn't change supporting Safc for anything we might be shit but it makes the small special bits extra special
Yeah agreed, that's why a Pre-Season Premiership means so much to St Kilda fans.

My sister actually barracks for the most successful team in the AFL at the moment, Hawthorn. They've won 11 Premierships in her lifetime, I was speaking to her yesterday about Hawthorn trading their best player (Buddy Franklin) to Sydney after the 2013 Grand Final. That didn't hurt them as they won the next 2 Grand Finals as well.

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:19 pm

So this is like, before my time, and it wasn't really live as in on television, but I thought I'd share. If you're bored and have 15 minutes of spare time then this is a fun watch:

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:51 pm

Live at the venue,

1991 League cup Final SWFC 1 Man U 0
1993 FA cup semi final SWFC 2 SUFC 1( should have been 10-1 one of the most one sided games ever)
1999 Lennox Lewis v Evander Holyfield 2 in Vegas. I should have been to the first fight ( the worst decision of all time imo)
Watching Yorkshire win the County championship at Trent Bridge a few years ago.

In the future

2022 Ashes test Aussies v England at the SCG This depends on travel restrictions due to COVID-19
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’