Life would be boring without it!
TheArrow

Re: The Bodybuilding Thread

Post by TheArrow » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Cameron wrote:
TheArrow wrote:
Cameron wrote:
TheArrow wrote:
Good stuff, if you need any help lemme know... Deffo test your row strength before continuing pressing though.
Row strength?

I use the rowing cardio machine, but I assume that's not what you are talking about.

I pushed the boat out and had a brief go on something called a "pec ___", which was like two cushions you pushed together with your arms. That was good.
Aye, the old pec deck, that's just chest as well, new lifters go mad on that and the press.

Here's the seated row with good form, skip to about 40 seconds

It's just the opposite of the chest press really, and as the back (lats) is a much bigger muscle group you should be using more weight on this than the chest press, will stop you getting injured, use more calories than the press, release more beneficial hormones, all round make you more buff. Throw in the lat pulldown too for your back until you can do pull ups.
I do the lat pulldown occasionally, but my right arm tends to struggle with it. I'll see if the gym at my uni has one of those, it looks good, although I've got a genetic bad back :P
A strong back is a healthy back. The pulldown is a good one to start with too, just stick to a medium weight around 12 reps if your arms hurts at heavier weights, then just increase it slowly until you can start doing pull ups.
It's no mistake retards is an anagram of darters...

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:59 pm

TheArrow wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:this should be in the gay section
Haha nowt gay about being buff for the ladies.

all well and good having muscles but on their own wiith a personality, and other traits its not worth a fuck.

I dont have the muscles, but i do have charm style, charisma, a sense of humor, tall and confident and that will get more women ( if i want them) more than some dumb muscle bound thick steroid ape.

TheArrow

Post by TheArrow » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Also, on the pulldown never go behind neck, bring it to the middle of your chest no lower than that, and don't use momentum, might be easier on your arms.

TheArrow

Post by TheArrow » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:01 pm

Justin Credible wrote:
TheArrow wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:this should be in the gay section
Haha nowt gay about being buff for the ladies.

all well and good having muscles but on their own wiith a personality, and other traits its not worth a fuck.

I dont have the muscles, but i do have charm style, charisma, a sense of humor, tall and confident and that will get more women ( if i want them) more than some dumb muscle bound thick steroid ape.
That's nice.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:13 pm

you bet your ass it is

Cameron

Post by Cameron » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:39 pm

TheArrow wrote:Also, on the pulldown never go behind neck, bring it to the middle of your chest no lower than that, and don't use momentum, might be easier on your arms.
Ah, the picture on the machine says go behind neck. I'll bear that in mind. It's not that my arms hurt, they don't, it's just my right arm struggles to bring down weights that my left can do no issue. I have a dumbbell at home, I'll do a small number of reps on my right arm, see if I can improve it.

TheArrow

Post by TheArrow » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:19 pm

Cameron wrote:
TheArrow wrote:Also, on the pulldown never go behind neck, bring it to the middle of your chest no lower than that, and don't use momentum, might be easier on your arms.
Ah, the picture on the machine says go behind neck. I'll bear that in mind. It's not that my arms hurt, they don't, it's just my right arm struggles to bring down weights that my left can do no issue. I have a dumbbell at home, I'll do a small number of reps on my right arm, see if I can improve it.
Behind the neck can cause problems with compression of the discs in the upper spine in the long run, so it's recommended now to always go to the chest. It's safer and does the exact same muscles.

The pulldown uses the lats mostly but some biceps too, so I suppose if you did some bicep work on your weak arm it could help, but also try focussing as much on the back as you can, get it to do most of the work, after a while you'll notice your arms won't get tired at all doing it but your back will, all about getting the technique right.

Cameron

Post by Cameron » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:20 pm

TheArrow wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Behind the neck can cause problems with compression of the discs in the upper spine in the long run, so it's recommended now to always go to the chest. It's safer and does the exact same muscles.

The pulldown uses the lats mostly but some biceps too, so I suppose if you did some bicep work on your weak arm it could help, but also try focussing as much on the back as you can, get it to do most of the work, after a while you'll notice your arms won't get tired at all doing it but your back will, all about getting the technique right.
The lat pulldown hurts my hands a lot too, how do I avoid that?

TheArrow

Post by TheArrow » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Cameron wrote:
TheArrow wrote:
Cameron wrote:

The lat pulldown hurts my hands a lot too, how do I avoid that?
Grip strength will come with time. Or do you mean blisters? If blisters grip it tighter so the bar doesn't move around during reps, your skin will toughen up eventually too.

For grip strength, you'll probably not do them, but deadlifts are the king, and farmers walks too, they will make you hands miles stronger as you'll use more weight than any other exercise.

Don't bother with gloves or wraps, they'll hinder your hands and forearms from getting stronger.

Cameron

Post by Cameron » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:56 am

TheArrow wrote: Grip strength will come with time. Or do you mean blisters? If blisters grip it tighter so the bar doesn't move around during reps, your skin will toughen up eventually too.

For grip strength, you'll probably not do them, but deadlifts are the king, and farmers walks too, they will make you hands miles stronger as you'll use more weight than any other exercise.

Don't bother with gloves or wraps, they'll hinder your hands and forearms from getting stronger.
As in I feel I will get blisters if I do it for an extended period of time. I can't do more than 5 reps in one go without feeling like I will.

I've noticed improvement anyway, I'm considerably more fit than I was at the start of summer.

Noisycrowds

Post by Noisycrowds » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:57 am

Cameron wrote:
TheArrow wrote: Grip strength will come with time. Or do you mean blisters? If blisters grip it tighter so the bar doesn't move around during reps, your skin will toughen up eventually too.

As in I feel I will get herpes if I do it for an extended period of time. I can't do more than 5 cocks in one go without feeling like I will.

I've noticed improvement anyway, I'm considerably more analy loose than I was at the start of summer.

:o :o :o

Cameron

Post by Cameron » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:00 am

Noisycrowds wrote:
Cameron wrote:

As in I feel I will get herpes if I do it for an extended period of time. I can't do more than 5 cocks in one go without feeling like I will.

I've noticed improvement anyway, I'm considerably more analy loose than I was at the start of summer.

Thanks for the deep conversation Noisy.

Now fuck off.

Noisycrowds

Post by Noisycrowds » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:03 am

Cameron wrote:
Noisycrowds wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Thanks for the deep conversation Noisy.

Now fuck me.

fuck off faggot

TheArrow

Post by TheArrow » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:34 am

Cameron wrote:

As in I feel I will get blisters if I do it for an extended period of time. I can't do more than 5 reps in one go without feeling like I will.

I've noticed improvement anyway, I'm considerably more fit than I was at the start of summer.
Just a case of not letting the bar move around in your hand too much then, grip it fully deep in your palms not just with your fingers and squeeze hard before starting the rep (post changers go mad), just looking at my hands I've got calluses on the palms under the middle and ring finger on both hands, probably blisters when I started but never bothered me at all.

Cameron

Post by Cameron » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:38 am

TheArrow wrote: Just a case of not letting the bar move around in your hand too much then, grip it fully deep in your palms not just with your fingers and squeeze hard before starting the rep (post changers go mad), just looking at my hands I've got calluses on the palms under the middle and ring finger on both hands, probably blisters when I started but never bothered me at all.
So why shouldn't I use weightlifting gloves? A lot of people seem to use them.

TheArrow

Post by TheArrow » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:42 am

Cameron wrote:
TheArrow wrote: Just a case of not letting the bar move around in your hand too much then, grip it fully deep in your palms not just with your fingers and squeeze hard before starting the rep (post changers go mad), just looking at my hands I've got calluses on the palms under the middle and ring finger on both hands, probably blisters when I started but never bothered me at all.
Because they'll stop your hands and forearms from getting as strong as they should be in proportion to the rest of your arm and upper body. Form of cheating yourself in a way too, if you can't lift it with your body as it is then you just can't lift it, same reason I never wear a belt even though it would add 50lbs on to my deadlift. Plus, you'll look gay with that shite on.

Cameron

Post by Cameron » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:52 am

TheArrow wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Because they'll stop your hands and forearms from getting as strong as they should be in proportion to the rest of your arm and upper body. Form of cheating yourself in a way too, if you can't lift it with your body as it is then you just can't lift it, same reason I never wear a belt even though it would add 50lbs on to my deadlift. Plus, you'll look gay with that shite on.
Not an issue :lol:

Noisycrowds

Post by Noisycrowds » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:52 am

sort of exercise dave and arrow enjoy
pair of fucking shit stabbers

TheArrow

The Bodybuilding Thread

Post by TheArrow » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:02 am

Cameron wrote:
TheArrow wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Not an issue :lol:
In that case wear leather pants as well they'll help you lift more on the leg press :)

Joking aside, it's usually the newbies and clueless ones wearing all the extras, watch them next time they'll be swinging the weights, clanging them, won't be that big but trying to lift too heavy, and just kidding themselves with terrible form. There's no shortcuts, just get the form right and lift slowly and controlled.

doG

Post by doG » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:48 pm

Cameron wrote:
Noisycrowds wrote:dave embarrased to leave his house as hes ugly and scared he might get some anti homo abuse
I had to leave the house to go to the gym...
Good work Dave, how are your arms feeling now after lifting 20kg for a week now?
dOg...off his chain