snooker thread sponsored by Ross, Bob

Life would be boring without it!
thegentle

Re: snooker thread

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:37 am

Emulsfier wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:18 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:43 pm
JH01 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:53 pm Ronnie not going to the Masters next month.
Cba?
Cba.

"It is a fantastic tournament but I just did not want to play in it this year. I am looking forward to doing some other stuff.

"The Masters is such a great tournament and I think that spot should go to somebody who is dedicated to the game, loves the game and is going to give 110%.

"At the moment I am just playing to enjoy. The place is better off going to somebody else."
Will piss off a lot of people who had bought tickets, but fair enough really, admirable in a way

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:41 am

Obviously Bond's run came completely out of the blue, akin to Part at the UK Open last year, but even aside from that, it seems mad to me how many oldies are still hanging around compared to darts. Matt Stevens was winning stuff in the early 00s, it'd be like if Colin Lloyd were still around lol

JH01

Post by JH01 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:06 am

thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:41 am Obviously Bond's run came completely out of the blue, akin to Part at the UK Open last year, but even aside from that, it seems mad to me how many oldies are still hanging around compared to darts. Matt Stevens was winning stuff in the early 00s, it'd be like if Colin Lloyd were still around lol
Snooker players definately have a longer shelf life. You've still got the likes of Bond, Stevens, McManus, Doherty, Ebdon and White (albeit on a wildcard) on the tour, and all well past their best. I mean Steve Davis was still on the tour until a 3/4 years ago. Lesser players like Mark King, Anthony Hamilton, Mark Davis, Robert Milkins. All have been on tour for over 25 years.

There's still a whole heap of players who have been pro for over 20 years, players like Selby, Robertson, Hawkins, Carter, Bingham, Dott, Fu, Maguire and Murphy. The likes of Ronnie, Higgins, Williams and Perry are getting on for 30 years as professionals, and all in the top 16. The only current darts players I can think of that compare to these examples are Barney, King and Beaton, and one of them is about to retire.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:20 am

JH01 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:06 am
thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:41 am Obviously Bond's run came completely out of the blue, akin to Part at the UK Open last year, but even aside from that, it seems mad to me how many oldies are still hanging around compared to darts. Matt Stevens was winning stuff in the early 00s, it'd be like if Colin Lloyd were still around lol
Snooker players definately have a longer shelf life. You've still got the likes of Bond, Stevens, McManus, Doherty, Ebdon and White (albeit on a wildcard) on the tour, and all well past their best. I mean Steve Davis was still on the tour until a 3/4 years ago. Lesser players like Mark King, Anthony Hamilton, Mark Davis, Robert Milkins. All have been on tour for over 25 years.

There's still a whole heap of players who have been pro for over 20 years, players like Selby, Robertson, Hawkins, Carter, Bingham, Dott, Fu, Maguire and Murphy. The likes of Ronnie, Higgins, Williams and Perry are getting on for 30 years as professionals, and all in the top 16. The only current darts players I can think of that compare to these examples are Barney, King and Beaton, and one of them is about to retire.
Why do you think that is? Is it just that there aren't as many up and coming players pushing through, or is it something intrinsic to the game?

JH01

Post by JH01 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:40 am

thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:41 am
JH01 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:06 am Snooker players definately have a longer shelf life. You've still got the likes of Bond, Stevens, McManus, Doherty, Ebdon and White (albeit on a wildcard) on the tour, and all well past their best. I mean Steve Davis was still on the tour until a 3/4 years ago. Lesser players like Mark King, Anthony Hamilton, Mark Davis, Robert Milkins. All have been on tour for over 25 years.

Why do you think that is? Is it just that there aren't as many up and coming players pushing through, or is it something intrinsic to the game?
I think it's a bit of both to be honest. Jimmy White and Neal Foulds were saying on Eurosport the other day that snooker clubs up and down the country have been closing for a while, which is why there's much fewer British players coming through compared to the Chinese players. I think there's about 20 odd of them on tour, but none of them are really breaking through to the higher echelons of the rankings.

I think snooker is one of the toughest sports from a skill point of view, which is a big reason as to why we are still seeing the same faces after so many years. After the Masters line up was confirmed yesterday, I looked at the line ups from years gone by. 10 of the players who were there in 2010 will be there again next month, which in comparison to darts is incredible.

fandarts

Post by fandarts » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:28 pm

thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:37 am
Emulsfier wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:18 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:43 pm
JH01 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:53 pm Ronnie not going to the Masters next month.
Cba?
Cba.

"It is a fantastic tournament but I just did not want to play in it this year. I am looking forward to doing some other stuff.

"The Masters is such a great tournament and I think that spot should go to somebody who is dedicated to the game, loves the game and is going to give 110%.

"At the moment I am just playing to enjoy. The place is better off going to somebody else."
Will piss off a lot of people who had bought tickets, but fair enough really, admirable in a way
cunt should have retired 20 years ago-he would rather be tugging jimmy off in a eurosport studio or pricking around with matt smith in america
Justin Credible wrote:all jail the pdc

LAUGHING AT THE PDC SINCE 1993

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:08 pm

JH01 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:40 am
JH01 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:06 am Snooker players definately have a longer shelf life. You've still got the likes of Bond, Stevens, McManus, Doherty, Ebdon and White (albeit on a wildcard) on the tour, and all well past their best. I mean Steve Davis was still on the tour until a 3/4 years ago. Lesser players like Mark King, Anthony Hamilton, Mark Davis, Robert Milkins. All have been on tour for over 25 years.

I think it's a bit of both to be honest. Jimmy White and Neal Foulds were saying on Eurosport the other day that snooker clubs up and down the country have been closing for a while, which is why there's much fewer British players coming through compared to the Chinese players. I think there's about 20 odd of them on tour, but none of them are really breaking through to the higher echelons of the rankings.

I think snooker is one of the toughest sports from a skill point of view, which is a big reason as to why we are still seeing the same faces after so many years. After the Masters line up was confirmed yesterday, I looked at the line ups from years gone by. 10 of the players who were there in 2010 will be there again next month, which in comparison to darts is incredible.
They must get a fair whack in sponsorship then if most of them aren't earning much, even if there are a few events in Asia

JH01

Post by JH01 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:56 pm

thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:08 pm
JH01 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:40 am

They must get a fair whack in sponsorship then if most of them aren't earning much, even if there are a few events in Asia
I would imagine so.

JH01

Post by JH01 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Great start for Ding, Maguire looks like he played his final last night. Missed a few easy blacks off the spot.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Not a game I really feel inclined to bother with

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Randall wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:45 pm Not a game I really feel inclined to bother with
Bedtime for Randall already?

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:56 pm

thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 pm
Randall wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:45 pm Not a game I really feel inclined to bother with
Bedtime for Randall already?
Give it an hour

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:15 pm

Should be inevitable now.
Boring Brendas number one and (almost) only fan.

Smithys number one and (definitely not) only hater.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:06 pm

Emulsfier wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:15 pm Should be inevitable now.
Yep I'm turning in now

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Good final tbh. Bags of centuries and between two players i like very much. No complaints.
Boring Brendas number one and (almost) only fan.

Smithys number one and (definitely not) only hater.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:48 pm

Well done Ding, back with a bang! Good final that, hope to see him be a threat at the Worlds again soon

JH-01

Post by JH-01 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:27 am

But I am!
The only Mervert in town.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:33 am

JH-01 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:27 am
But I am!
Are you Ali Carter? :D
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

JH-01

Post by JH-01 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:38 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:33 am
But I am!
I don't think so, I've still got two testicles
The only Mervert in town.

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:57 am

JH-01 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:38 am
Captain Hobo wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:33 am
But I am!
I don't think so, I've still got two testicles
Savage :lol: and I don't mean Robbie or Lilly
“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“