Boxing

Life would be boring without it!
Randall
Site Admin

Re: Boxing

Post by Randall » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:44 pm

They had to tie him up, nobody wanted to fight him on the inside
His body attack was brutal, bring down the hands then take them out.

ILAD

Post by ILAD » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:52 pm

Randall wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:44 pm They had to tie him up, nobody wanted to fight him on the inside His body attack was brutal, bring down the hands then take them out.
Right hard bastard is DBG, ignore the myth about him getting battered at a forum meet, all a load of bollocks, he is rock hard...... Greipel told me.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:29 pm

Randall wrote:They had to tie him up, nobody wanted to fight him on the inside
His body attack was brutal, bring down the hands then take them out.
Tyson was a poor in fighter, he was fantastic at mid range.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 pm

sennafan24 wrote:Also, part of Tyson's blossoming between in 1987 was learning to deal with clinchers.

From Boxerec:

"Tucker used the sort of tactics that have frustrated Iron Mike in previous bouts - against James (Bonecrusher) Smith last March and for a few rounds against Pinklon Thomas in May. But Tyson showed patience tonight, using his jab to establish his offense more than he had in the past when opponents grabbed and clinched excessively."

Of course, Tyson still had issues with clinchers, as was the case in the Holmes bout, but he did improve at dealing with them after the Smith bout that HJ keeps harping on about.
Larry Holmes 1980 beats any version of Tyson.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 pm

sennafan24 wrote:A song for HJ:

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:31 pm

sennafan24 wrote:
Randall wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:51 pm 85-87 tyson is as good as anyone I've seen An absolute terror His prime was just over very soon He stops usyk easily for me
After checking Tyson career timeline, I'd say 87-90 was his prime.

And aye agreed, I have little time for Tyson as a person and adore Usyk, but I can't see Usyk beating prime Iron Mike.
Too cute for Mikey boy imo.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:33 pm

sennafan24 wrote:
=HalloweenJack post_id=1309738 time=1661173643 user_id=2242 Tyson won many fights by intimidation. Not one of the fighters I mentioned would have been intimidated by him. Not many boxing experts pick Tyson in an all time top 10 list. Tyson was a great mid range combination puncher. Holyfield and Bowe and Frazier would beat him in the inside. Foreman would have bullied him ( Tyson supposedly wanted no part of the 90s version of Foreman) I’m talking about peak 70s Foreman. Usyk would be too quick for Tyson imo. The others would keep him at range. Lewis v Tyson was when both were past their prime, but that fight is exactly how many would see it happening whenever they fight. Lewis was paid step aside money so Tyson didn’t fight him. A lot of ( mainly casual) boxing fans get sucked in by Tysons highlight reel. He also didn’t blast everyone out early, Tucker had his moments and he shattered his hand very early on in that fight. Bonecrusher came to frustrate and Tyson couldn’t land anything clean on him. Mike Tyson’s best career wins Spinks ( a blown up light heavyweight) Holmes ( well past his prime and was given only a few weeks preparation after not fighting for around 2 years)
Firstly, a lot of experts do place Tyson in the top 10 heavyweights of all-time. Just not in the top 5.

88-90 Tyson was a very good pressure boxer. He'd come forward with constant head movement, draw out his opponent's jab, and slip inside it and land counters. He was also lethal on the inside, even if he was vulnerable to the clinch. His head movement diminished after he left Rooney and he was never quite the same boxer again.

Still, his record is better than you make out. Spinks, although a blown-up cruiserweight, is one of the most underrated boxers in recent memory. Holmes, although old, looked switched on against Tyson and smartly used the clinch to smother him. However, Tyson was able to take away Holmes's jab, by jabbing him with. This not only pushed Holmes back, but set up Tyson's right hand, which he eventually used to stop Larry. It's also not like Tubbs, Tucker and Thomas were bums when Tyson beat them.

Yes, he didn't blast everyone away at his peak, but it's also not like other HW greats didn't look vulnerable during their peaks. Lewis got stopped by Rahman, Foreman's training methods were terrible which contributed to his lack of stamina and his loss to Young, Ali was buzzed by Henry Cooper's left hook when he was at his slickest, Fury looked ordinary against Cunningham, Holmes was almost stopped by Shavers, the list could go on.

Some of those I would pick to beat Tyson prime vs prime (Lewis, Foreman, Ali), other I would pick Mike to beat (Fury, Holmes), but Mike was certainly in their league prime for prime, even if his prime was relatively short for the reason I mentioned above.
Prime Sonny Liston destroys Tyson. Liston the most intimidating fighter, even Mikey boy agrees with this.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:07 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:29 pm
Randall wrote:They had to tie him up, nobody wanted to fight him on the inside His body attack was brutal, bring down the hands then take them out.
He wasn't poor inside.

But he was at his best when closing the gap to his opponent. He was great at creating his offence through slipping, crouching and intercepting his opponents shots.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:27 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 pm
sennafan24 wrote:Also, part of Tyson's blossoming between in 1987 was learning to deal with clinchers. From Boxerec: "Tucker used the sort of tactics that have frustrated Iron Mike in previous bouts - against James (Bonecrusher) Smith last March and for a few rounds against Pinklon Thomas in May. But Tyson showed patience tonight, using his jab to establish his offense more than he had in the past when opponents grabbed and clinched excessively." Of course, Tyson still had issues with clinchers, as was the case in the Holmes bout, but he did improve at dealing with them after the Smith bout that HJ keeps harping on about.
Very debatable.

Prime Holmes was run close by Williams and Witherspoon and was also dropped by Shavers and Snipes. He wasn't untouchable.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

HalloweenJack

Boxing

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:47 am

sennafan24 wrote:
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 pm
sennafan24 wrote:Also, part of Tyson's blossoming between in 1987 was learning to deal with clinchers. From Boxerec: "Tucker used the sort of tactics that have frustrated Iron Mike in previous bouts - against James (Bonecrusher) Smith last March and for a few rounds against Pinklon Thomas in May. But Tyson showed patience tonight, using his jab to establish his offense more than he had in the past when opponents grabbed and clinched excessively." Of course, Tyson still had issues with clinchers, as was the case in the Holmes bout, but he did improve at dealing with them after the Smith bout that HJ keeps harping on about.
Very debatable.

Prime Holmes was run close by Williams and Witherspoon and was also dropped by Shavers and Snipes. He wasn't untouchable.
No he wasn’t I agree and I’ve never liked the way Holmes comes across, he seems to slay any other half decent heavyweight that came after him, but he was an outstanding fighter and at his best I think he beats Tyson.

The Witherspoon fight could have easily gone Tim’s way. Holmes got a gift decision against Williams, but he was well past his prime when he fought both of those two.

Tim Witherspoon, I would put him as the 3rd best heavyweight of the 80s after Holmes and Mikey boy. I wish he had of fought Tyson as he could have given him problems. Tim was very inconsistent though.
Last edited by HalloweenJack on Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:52 am

sennafan24 wrote:
Randall wrote:They had to tie him up, nobody wanted to fight him on the inside His body attack was brutal, bring down the hands then take them out.
He wasn't poor inside.

But he was at his best when closing the gap to his opponent. He was great at creating his offence through slipping, crouching and intercepting his opponents shots.
Tyson at times was ineffective inside, he was hardly Frazer who would practically lay on someone and pound away. This is why I think the likes of Holyfield and Bowe ( their respective primes and possibly Frazer) would beat Tyson at his best.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:20 am

WOW. The judge who scored the fight for AJ had to get his supervisor to speak for him for most part.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:31 am

Tyson was poor inside
Bradman was also weak on the offside

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:24 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:52 am
sennafan24 wrote:
He wasn't poor inside. But he was at his best when closing the gap to his opponent. He was great at creating his offence through slipping, crouching and intercepting his opponents shots.
Tyson at times was ineffective inside, he was hardly Frazer who would practically lay on someone and pound away. This is why I think the likes of Holyfield and Bowe ( their respective primes and possibly Frazer) would beat Tyson at his best.
The same Frazier who was constantly tied up by Ali in their second meeting?

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:13 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:08 pm
Randall wrote:Yeah tyson at 5 10 won all his fights against guys 6ft 5 plus on the outside using his reach advantage Good grief
Mid range Randall, watch the fights. Frazer was an inside fighter. Tyson rarely fought like that.
Quoted this post from the Hankey thread.

Yes, Frazier was probably better on the inside than Tyson. Yes, Tyson's best work arguably came when he was bridging the gap to his opponent, as I described above.

But neither mean that Tyson was poor on the inside ffs.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:19 pm

sennafan24 wrote:
Randall wrote:Yeah tyson at 5 10 won all his fights against guys 6ft 5 plus on the outside using his reach advantage Good grief
Mid range Randall, watch the fights. Frazer was an inside fighter. Tyson rarely fought like that.
Quoted this post from the Hankey thread.

Yes, Frazier was probably better on the inside than Tyson. Yes, Tyson's best work arguably came when he was bridging the gap to his opponent, as I described above.

But neither mean that Tyson was poor on the inside ffs.
But it wasn’t one of his strengths, that is why he rarely went inside.
Calm down Senna it’s only a debate. A good one at that though.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:42 pm

Is this shite still on?
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:49 pm

The Thorn wrote:Is this shite still on?
If it will make you fuck of and die: yes.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:49 pm

Ross, Bob wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:49 pm
The Thorn wrote:Is this shite still on?
If it will make you fuck of and die: yes.
+1
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:11 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:19 pm
sennafan24 wrote:
Quoted this post from the Hankey thread. Yes, Frazier was probably better on the inside than Tyson. Yes, Tyson's best work arguably came when he was bridging the gap to his opponent, as I described above. But neither mean that Tyson was poor on the inside ffs.
But it wasn’t one of his strengths, that is why he rarely went inside. Calm down Senna it’s only a debate. A good one at that though.