Newbie - Mounting dartboard question

How's your arrers going?
Seve OB

Newbie - Mounting dartboard question

Post by Seve OB » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:23 pm

I've decided I need to make an essential purchase in these times of lockdown and a dart board is now required to while away the afternoons and evenings with a beer in the hand:) I'm totally new here, throw the odd dart in the pubs and haven't had my own dart board since I was a kid. So a bit of research and I'm getting a Winmau Blade 5 (probably won't go for the dual core, as don't think I need it, unless anyone sees a reason why I should)

Now I live in a small enough house and don't really have room to be throwing arrows anywhere, so I am going to stick it outside. It will be going on a pebble dashed wall which is probably not the best place, but it's all I've got! Obviously being outside I don't want it getting ruined in the rain etc so am thinking I should mount it in a way that I can take it down when not in use.

So I haven't made the purchase yet, but I'm looking at 2 different set options, both coming with a couple of sets of darts. One set has a wooden cabinet with score board inside. The other set has some kind of rubber surround. Now I'm not sure about mounting either and how easy it would be to set them up in a way that I can just lift them down when not playing. Or if that's even possible ?

Does anyone have any tips or ideas as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to bring it outside?

The Thorn

Re: Newbie - Mounting dartboard question

Post by The Thorn » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:25 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The Blade 5 is an excellent choice. I would take the version with the surround. With most of the mounting systems you can just take the board off the wall in 10 seconds. The darts you'll get are probably cheap brass ones,so if you're serious about playing, you should look at buying a set of tungsten darts. You can get a quality set for less than £20.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

D & B

Post by D & B » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:13 am

I’d definitely give the cabinet a miss and go for the surround, it’ll just get battered. Throwing outside is pointless in this country as the wind will affect accuracy, just stick it where you have space and cover up the couple of screws with a picture.

As simple as Oche!

Seve OB

Post by Seve OB » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:22 pm

Thanks guys
I had been more leaning to the cabinet.
Ease of use to dismount it is important so the surround option looking better choice now.
I’m not bothered about the bit of wind, I’m in Ireland and we get our fair share of wind and rain which is why I want something that I can take down handy enough. I just want it for a bit of craic, not serious at all, but when I tend to invest in something I do normally buy decent stuff, hence going for the blade 5.
I had also read up on the darts themselves. Might stick with the cheap ones for the moment, but always need good birthday pressie ideas.

Seve OB

Post by Seve OB » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:30 pm

am i correct in saying that the rubber surrounds just slide onto the dartboard once you have the board mounted?

surprisingly difficult to find info on the web about this.

incidentally i did find something about cabinets and it seems a cabinet gets screwed to the wall from the inside. i was figuring that it might be hung with brackets on the back. but i'm still not to sure!!

Seve OB

Post by Seve OB » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:45 pm

i've been looking at the mounting of boards just using a screw and I feel that putting it up and down a lot might make it come loose and lose effectiveness.

has anyone used one of these? would this be a good idea for hanging board.

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_i ... s_id=66217

it looks like a decent bracket that would allow for easy mounting and taking down when not in use.
i could mount a small wooden bracket to the back wall to give me a base plate for mounting.

D & B

Post by D & B » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:41 am

This is all you need for the dartboard and surround

Seve OB

Post by Seve OB » Thu May 07, 2020 12:08 am

just to follow up guys, i bought the winmau blade 5 & extreme surround set.
it came with a couple of set of darts, but i always knew they would be muck (which they are), but the set was the best deal to get the board and surround
the cheap darts will be grand for the kids

anyway, board arrived today, and my 8 year old must have spent about 2 hours flinging the arrows at it when i got it up on the wall...... even though i stuck it up at regulation height!

the surround was a great addition, delighted that your tips pointed me in that direction as opposed to getting a cabinet.

off now to research some half decent darts