Is Novice to Pro possible?

How's your arrers going?
skweezit

Re: Is Novice to Pro possible?

Post by skweezit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:03 pm

an aside:
history shows that a lack of natural ability won't prevent one from getting to the top levels in music.

DannyB

Post by DannyB » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:00 pm

whiteycj1 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:09 am Fascinating post. I haven't read all of the replies, however I think the answer is 'yes' but depending on certain variables. One is age. I'm a fan of Syed's work and a believer in the 'practice-over-talent' theory although it takes a hell of a lot of practice (some say 10,000 hours is the magic number!). Can you cram all of that in before you reach an age of physical decline? Two hours a week won't move the needle but if you build up that schedule and end practicing excessively, you can get there if you have time on your side. Would love to see the video progress - where will you be posting it?

I recently started sponsoring an amateur who's going to Q-School this month - he's 33. He's played a lot, up to county level but never really dedicated time to practice or had the funds to pit his wits against better players by entering competitions (which are a cost). He's making great progress - throwing some really impressive darts and has a decent chance. Good luck with the project anyway!
I disagree, the 10000 theory is flawed. Practice is important but overated and i feel 1-2 hours intense practice is better than 4 hours plus a day. If you gonna put those hours in then break it up with a playing partner. Taylor from age 26-age 30 would not reached the 10000 hour rule and became world champ. At 30 Bobby George never touched a dart and within a year was almost county level. Gary Anderson never touyched a dart until 24, and is not a practicer, probably only just hit 10 000 recently despite in the game for 20 years.

I think its a mixture of both, I, similar to the thread starter, i have played high level sport in various sports, threw velcro darts when 7, and probably around 20 hours in my late 20s-31. Got my own board at 32 i have hit 72 180s, done round the clock in under 80 darts, 18 darters, hit 3 consecutive bulls 3 times, 2 competive 180's, and 100 plus check outs.

Am i a good player yet?No way, but my potential is there. I continually adapt my throw, analyse pros as i feel most have poor technique in some description. I think it varies with different people, and believe once darts clicks it clicks(i have not clcike yet).

I expect to be a pro within 10 years, of practising 1-2 hours a day. I am working up the dart leagues first, then university darts, then by the time i am 38 expect to be in super league. From there, who knows, i know i am well off, but very close at the same time.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:53 pm

DannyB wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:00 pm
whiteycj1 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:09 am Fascinating post. I haven't read all of the replies, however I think the answer is 'yes' but depending on certain variables. One is age. I'm a fan of Syed's work and a believer in the 'practice-over-talent' theory although it takes a hell of a lot of practice (some say 10,000 hours is the magic number!). Can you cram all of that in before you reach an age of physical decline? Two hours a week won't move the needle but if you build up that schedule and end practicing excessively, you can get there if you have time on your side. Would love to see the video progress - where will you be posting it?

I recently started sponsoring an amateur who's going to Q-School this month - he's 33. He's played a lot, up to county level but never really dedicated time to practice or had the funds to pit his wits against better players by entering competitions (which are a cost). He's making great progress - throwing some really impressive darts and has a decent chance. Good luck with the project anyway!
I disagree, the 10000 theory is flawed. Practice is important but overated and i feel 1-2 hours intense practice is better than 4 hours plus a day. If you gonna put those hours in then break it up with a playing partner. Taylor from age 26-age 30 would not reached the 10000 hour rule and became world champ. At 30 Bobby George never touched a dart and within a year was almost county level. Gary Anderson never touyched a dart until 24, and is not a practicer, probably only just hit 10 000 recently despite in the game for 20 years.

I think its a mixture of both, I, similar to the thread starter, i have played high level sport in various sports, threw velcro darts when 7, and probably around 20 hours in my late 20s-31. Got my own board at 32 i have hit 72 180s, done round the clock in under 80 darts, 18 darters, hit 3 consecutive bulls 3 times, 2 competive 180's, and 100 plus check outs.

Am i a good player yet?No way, but my potential is there. I continually adapt my throw, analyse pros as i feel most have poor technique in some description. I think it varies with different people, and believe once darts clicks it clicks(i have not clcike yet).

I expect to be a pro within 10 years, of practising 1-2 hours a day. I am working up the dart leagues first, then university darts, then by the time i am 38 expect to be in super league. From there, who knows, i know i am well off, but very close at the same time.
I hit a 14 darter but don't mention it much
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

D & B

Post by D & B » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:45 pm

I hit the wall very often.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:27 pm

D & B wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:45 pm I hit the wall very often.
And the floor!

D & B

Post by D & B » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:07 am

Randall wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:27 pm
D & B wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:45 pm I hit the wall very often.
And the floor!
:D

Safc

Post by Safc » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Hit my first 11 darter on tuesday in the club before going to the match played a best of 9 finished with 76.81 average