Should there be restrictions on tournaments

How's your arrers going?
Grazer

Should there be restrictions on tournaments

Post by Grazer » Fri May 01, 2015 3:51 pm

Over the last couple of months, there seems to have been an increasing number of "pub player only" tournaments being run. Essentially, players who have played in the PDC or BDO/County/SuperLeague since January are not eligible to participate. This seems to have generated some controversy with some saying it's unfair whilst others say it gives other people a chance to do well and pick up some money.

I actually enjoy playing the better players; if you lose it's expected but if you win or at the very least give them a good game then it can give you confidence. But I do understand people wanting to be in a tournament where the playing field is a bit more level.

The other problem is the definition of pub player. I think most people will have a standard in mind when they think of pub player and many are far better than that but don't play PDC/BDO

Should tournaments put restrictions on who can enter? Do you think they'll ultimately be successful?

M H
Site Admin

Re: Should there be restrictions on tournaments

Post by M H » Fri May 01, 2015 4:07 pm

I don't see a problem with "Jobber" tournaments to be honest, it's how they set the criteria I guess
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri May 01, 2015 4:33 pm

M H wrote:I don't see a problem with "Jobber" tournaments to be honest, it's how they set the criteria I guess
The BBC televises one in January

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Fri May 01, 2015 4:42 pm

I resisted the temptation!

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 pm

Should tournaments put restrictions on who can enter?

it's up to the director/promoter, but why not?

twenty plus years ago, I wanted to hold a $5 entry fee tournament just for my league shooters. 501 single elimination (what? no cricket?) and floated it to the league board. they weren't willing to help. (stick-in-the-muds) so I went and did it anyways. found a big hall (VFW club) that was willing to make money off the bar and the food, they were dead on Sundays, in return for no hall rental.

I set a date and promoted the shit out of it. the buzz that was generated was enough for the board to come around and want in. I charged them $450 in return for league billing, kind of sold them the tournament, though I would run it, which I split up into prize money. $50 added into each group. we had 8 conferences in the league, A through I, which were ranked by talent. the darters only played the guys in there own conference (level). so 8 seperate tournies really. I started the lower levels earlier cuz they can be slow.
around 2 hours later, I ran a tournie that was open to everyone from all conferences.

the president of the league and his board buddies were impressed or drunk enough(?) to buy a couple kegs so that the beer became free. a good time was had and the tournament still goes on today every year.

to get back to the question, grazer. Should tournaments put restrictions on who can enter?
it was an eye opener for some that we had bigger turnouts in the mid-level conferences than the higher ones.
interesting information to put to use, which I did, in my next story and in response to your 2nd question.

I too prefer playing against better shooters, but there are a lot of people that will stay away if they think
so-and-so is just going to win it anyways. so restrictions may help to get people's feet wet that normally do not play in tournaments. I have no problem with it.

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Wed May 20, 2015 9:16 am

skweezit wrote:Should tournaments put restrictions on who can enter?

twenty plus years ago, I wanted to hold a $5 entry fee tournament just for my league shooters. 501 single elimination (what? no cricket?) and floated it to the league board. they weren't willing to help. (stick-in-the-muds) so I went and did it anyways. found a big hall (VFW club) that was willing to make money off the bar and the food, they were dead on Sundays, in return for no hall rental.

I set a date and promoted the shit out of it. the buzz that was generated was enough for the board to come around and want in. I charged them $450 in return for league billing, kind of sold them the tournament, though I would run it, which I split up into prize money. $50 added into each group. we had 8 conferences in the league, A through I, which were ranked by talent. the darters only played the guys in there own conference (level). so 8 seperate tournies really. I started the lower levels earlier cuz they can be slow.
around 2 hours later, I ran a tournie that was open to everyone from all conferences.

the president of the league and his board buddies were impressed or drunk enough(?) to buy a couple kegs so that the beer became free. a good time was had and the tournament still goes on today every year.

to get back to the question, grazer. Should tournaments put restrictions on who can enter?
it was an eye opener for some that we had bigger turnouts in the mid-level conferences than the higher ones.
interesting information to put to use, which I did, in my next story and in response to your 2nd question.

I too prefer playing against better shooters, but there are a lot of people that will stay away if they think
so-and-so is just going to win it anyways. so restrictions may help to get people's feet wet that normally do not play in tournaments. I have no problem with it.
The skimming is strong here :D

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed May 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Bdo tournaments on tv should be restricted

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Wed May 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Darth Randall wrote:Bdo tournaments on tv should be restricted
Appears they have been, Eurosport don't seem that keen any more

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed May 20, 2015 1:06 pm

the last catas trophy has something like 400 viewers on a stream at one point.

My website often got more viewers in a day than that for fucks sake

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed May 20, 2015 1:10 pm

M H wrote:
Darth Randall wrote:Bdo tournaments on tv should be restricted
Appears they have been, Eurosport don't seem that keen any more
Just as well, damaging to the game.

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Wed May 20, 2015 4:25 pm

Mabbsy wrote:

skimming? where do you see skimming? it's love of the game.
my entrepreneurship seed was not yet planted, but the ground was tilled and fertile.
Shall I continue with another story that addresses grazer's question?

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Thu May 21, 2015 3:22 pm

skweezit wrote:
Mabbsy wrote:

skimming? where do you see skimming? it's love of the game.
my entrepreneurship seed was not yet planted, but the ground was tilled and fertile.
Shall I continue with another story that addresses grazer's question?
:D