Heavy Darts

How's your arrers going?
lyallers_YNWA

Heavy Darts

Post by lyallers_YNWA » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Quick question. What indicators when playing darts can identify if you are using to heavy a set? Apart from throwing shite :lol:

Im currently using James Wade gold maestro 24g but i seem to be throwing alot of darts below the t20 and my arm seems to tire quite quickly when practising! I almost feel at times im trying to force the dart into the t20 rather than just let it go naturally

Any ideas lads?

M H
Site Admin

Re: Heavy Darts

Post by M H » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:37 pm

This may look like total bollocks but there's fact behind it.

A cricket ball's heavier than a tennis ball but throw both with the same force the cricket ball will go further. Maybe you should add a couple of grams and see what happens mate?
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 pm

I find if I throw low its because the dart is too light.......then again never take advice of me as
A. I use even heavier darts
and
B. I am utter shit at darts

lyallers_YNWA

Post by lyallers_YNWA » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks guys! Maybe im just not gripping the dart right. Or throwing them like a tard!

This game can be soo irritating at times lol

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 pm

lyallers_YNWA wrote:Thanks guys! Maybe im just not gripping the dart right. Or throwing them like a tard!

This game can be soo irritating at times lol
Very irritating mate

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm

i havent even picked em up in 10 days.

totally fed up with how they were going.

maybe a wee break will do me good, certainly cannot get any worse than i have been of late.

Dicie

Post by Dicie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Get yourself a cheap set of brass darts, they come with most boards you buy now and weigh in at 18 or 19 grams, use em, and you will see that you have to put more into throwing a light dart that you do a heavy one.

I use old darts, they weigh in at 13.2/13.5 and 13.8 grams, they were orignally 14 gram darts, but have warn down a bit over time. I throw very lightly, my darts land flat, the heavier the dart i throw the more up right the dart goes, thou my throw stays the same.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Dicie wrote:Get yourself a cheap set of brass darts, they come with most boards you buy now and weigh in at 18 or 19 grams, use em, and you will see that you have to put more into throwing a light dart that you do a heavy one.

I use old darts, they weigh in at 13.2/13.5 and 13.8 grams, they were orignally 14 gram darts, but have warn down a bit over time. I throw very lightly, my darts land flat, the heavier the dart i throw the more up right the dart goes, thou my throw stays the same.
So my cricket ball theory's right mate?

Dicie

Post by Dicie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 am

M H wrote:
Dicie wrote:Get yourself a cheap set of brass darts, they come with most boards you buy now and weigh in at 18 or 19 grams, use em, and you will see that you have to put more into throwing a light dart that you do a heavy one.

So my cricket ball theory's right mate?

I think so m8, yep..... Its like when you lose your throw, or are going thru a rough patch, do what some of the pro's do, get 3 odd darts, 3 different shape flights and 3 odd stems, makes you think about your throw. Use them for a day or 2, then revert back to your own darts

doG

Post by doG » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 pm

Not that it matters, but the Pro's throw....
Cannot believe people throw 14 to 20 grams....seems incredibly light to me. I've thrown 22grams and I could hardly feel them in my hand, if you know what I mean. They would often land in or outside the D20 when aiming for T20 !

I actually like 25grm, but as I use heavy Harrows Magnet stems, I can use 24grm, many manufactirers only make darts in 2grm increments 22, 24, 26 grm, some make them in odd's but not many, very few make them in 1 grams increments. Looking at what the Pro's use, you would think they should.

P.S. Yeah, some players change dart & weights from time to time, so below may not be intirely up to date or accurate. I'm sure you'll let me know.
Ted Hankey 14
Denis Preistley 15
Colin Lloyd 18
Kevin Painter 19
Alan Tabern 20
Andy Smith 20
Colin Osbourne 20
Denis Ovens 20
James Wade 20
Mark Webster 20
Paul Nicholson 20
Adrian Lewis 21
Mark Dudbridge 21
Terry Jenkins 21
Dave Chisnall 22
Gary Anderson 22
Martin Adams 22
Dean Winstanley 22
Mervyn King 22
Ronnie Baxter 22
Simon Whitlock 22
Steve Beaton 22
Steve Brown 22
Tony O'Shea 22
Wes Newton 22
Wayne Jones 23g
Co Stompe 23
Jamie Caven 23
Jelle Klaasen 23
John Part 23
Justin Pipe 23
Michael van Gerwen 23g
Vincent van der Voort 23
Mark Walsh 24g
Brendan Dolan 24.5
Andy Hamilton 25g
Raymond van Barneveld 25
Phil Taylor 26
Robert Thornton 26
dOg...off his chain

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:00 pm

I think it's all about the weight that suits your throw Dog. 22 suits me but I reckon I wouldn't notice a plus or minus two as I aint that good

doG

Post by doG » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 pm

M H wrote:I think it's all about the weight that suits your throw Dog. 22 suits me but I reckon I wouldn't notice a plus or minus two as I aint that good
Very true, we all have our own throwing action.
I often buy my darts in pairs (of sets) the same style in two weights, so I can see how they fly for me.
I have the Bulls Revolvers in 22,23,24,25,26 grams these were my first darts. I liked the idea of the scallop which gave a reference point for my thumb, and therefore ensured my hold was duplicated every single throw, and thus eliminating the hold error. After a lengthy period using Merv King Phantom Grip style darts, I'm back to throwing the Revolvers 24gm today !
dOg...off his chain

gumbo2176

Post by gumbo2176 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:20 pm

I have found that as I've gotten older, I use a heavier dart than I first started out throwing. I started out with 23 gram Power Point Eric Bristow series and a set of fixed point Piranha 23 gram darts. I now use 26 gram fixed point Unicorn darts most of the time. Every once in a while I'll go back to a lighter set but find it does take a bit more effort for the same results. I've tried darts under 20 grams and I just can't get them to do much besides frustrate me.

The last year I've developed a rotator cuff issue in my throwing shoulder and can't throw near as long as I once did without considerable pain following the session. I'm fairly certain it will take a bit of surgery to fix the situation by removing some of the offensive material causing my misery.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Years back when I first got into the game before I bought my own I tried out a load of the team players' darts at the pub I used at the time. Found the weight and length that suited me best and stuck to it with resounding failure

doG

Post by doG » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:46 pm

I'm throwing 22 grams at the moment, down the 25gm I thought I liked.
I found I have more of a smooth lobing throw, rather than a fast direct throw. Therefore lobing more weight obviously increases the margin of error, as the arc is more concave. Therefore to flatten the arc I'm trying a lighter dart...it's seems to be working.
Sometimes I think I'm just not putting in the required hours of practice to be honest.
dOg...off his chain

doG

Post by doG » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Yeah nah I've been down in the laboratory and set up an experiment to find the true answer as to which fly's higher or lower, heavy or light darts ?

I drew a line on an A4 sheet of paper and tacked it to the dart board. I then got two sets of the same dart - C10's, one set is 22gram and the other is 24gram. I then set them up with the same stems and the same flights. You could hardly tell them apart, except the 22gm have gripped points, so you can.
I then just started throwing at the line with all six darts, paying no attention to which dart I was throwing, however before pulling them from the board I would note down which landed high and which low.
After I had thrown 600 darts I added up how many of each weight landed above and below the centre line.

To find out the results, please send your cheque for $24.99 to -

dOG
RD1
Kumeu
Auckland
New Zealand

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
dOg...off his chain