Review : Bottelsen Precision Grip Darts - Hammer Head

How's your arrers going?
doG

Post by doG » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:39 pm

Yeah nah, spotted these babies the other day and could not resist...order online, credit card....it was done, ohce 62 bucks ! For that price I expected these babies would have a built in homing device. By the look of the Point / Barrel connection which appeared to be a screw in type set-up it's possible there must be some electrical gear in the nose ?

Well they have arrived. I got the 25gms.
Changed the stems and flights to my liking.
Within minutes of throwing the first few sets the darts I found they were well balanced for my throw, in fact better balanced than the Bulls Revolvers (25gm) that I have been using. Hit several 140's within first 10 minutes.

However, whats with the moving point !
Photo shows the 'Hammer Head' removed from the barrel, they give you a little spanner, but no spare points and no spare collars, which I think should be mandatory. Cannot see any spares for sale on the site where I brought the darts, and the points are a different shpae from standard points, but bugger me if I have to buy another complete set of darts if I break a point or collar ....another 62 pounds !!!!!! come on Bottelsen, and Darts Corner, wakey wakey.
Yes, Hammer Heads, the points retract into the barrel when they hit the bed. They retract 5mm. When you pull the dart from the bed they extend back out 5mm to their former position. When they hit the board they make a noise like the point is hitting the wire every throw. It's strange, would'nt go as far as saying annoying, but, each throw you seem distracted looking at the shot thinking how close was that to the wire, when in actual fact it's in the middle of the bed ! To my mind I can't see any logic in this set-up, there appears to be no advantage to it, if any thing it is a distraction.

Also, I've taken them apart (as you do) and I'm suspicious as to how long this collar type set-up will last, I doubt very much it is going to last a life time, let a lone a year of frequent use, time will tell I suppose. But I'm already thinking I might jam the collar device to stop the 'Hammer head' distraction......... Unless of course anybody else can give good reason why not to ?

There still good darts (for me), a bit pricey, probably due to the 'Hammer Head' set-up, which I feel is a 'fad' and not worth the expense.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
doG
dOg...off his chain

Dartfrog

Re: Review : Bottelsen Precision Grip Darts - Hammer Head

Post by Dartfrog » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:44 pm

They do look rather funky but i dont like a dart with too many functioning parts, as we know its just another way for them to get more cash out of us when things break.

doG

Post by doG » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Dartfrog wrote:They do look rather funky but i dont like a dart with too many functioning parts, as we know its just another way for them to get more cash out of us when things break.
Yeah nah, only time will tell.
They may only be a 25gm dart landing in a bristle bed, but this 'Hammering' effect when repeated 100''s of thousands of times, as darts do, will surely take it's toll in extra short time I fear. As I've said, if Bottelsen / Darts Corner wish to sell this product they should make at least 3 spare sets of points and collars mandatory in the original case of darts.

doG
dOg...off his chain

Dartfrog

Post by Dartfrog » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:55 pm

Well yes it seems crazy if you can't buy points seperately especially if it moves on impact as it'll loosen it over time i would have thought.

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:58 am

I've been using hammers for forever. after a while you won't even hear the tick.
new ones always tick more til they settle anyways
these came out when dartboards had fat wires and clips and staples and the bullseyes
were like somebody's mouth with full metal braces. a lot less bounceouts than
fixed points for sure. no longer the case with the spiders, but if you play on
worn boards, they'll stick in where others will fall out. miraculously too.

you have the original points and knuckles (some call them collars, but I didn't
want to offend you, doG) they'll last you a long time. mine are
over a year old. still work like brand new. and will stay that way as long as you don't
unscrew them and take them out and touch them or let them come in contact with paper. oh!
......oh dear!........
I have some knuckles that are even older, but backup is good.
you'll know if you break off a tine. it'll feel loose. still work but more play
in them.

you can buy a retro point for these darts that replaces the collar with a tiny little
o-ring that you can buy at your local hardware store. dirt dirt cheap. and they could
last a lifetime. replaces the knuckles, still moveable point feature.

agree with you that they are a well balanced dart. can't tell by the picture but did yours
come with rubber washers so that the collars don't loosen?

you can buy the points and knuckles together or seperately (at least here you can)

they are $100 darts (american money)
and the "fad" has lasted 30 some years and still going strong.

are they all titanium shafts or are they part plastic?

doG

Post by doG » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:43 am

Yeah nah, thanks pilgrim for explaining why the Hammer head action exists.
Yeap, they came with rubber washers. Barrels are all tungsten 90%.

I've discovered the answer to my challenge quite quickly, appears all I need is some soft point conversion points, have found some nice machined ones similar to Target Storms but obviously screw in, I like these as they have no lip and therefore reduces any chance of bounce out like normal points offer.

doG
dOg...off his chain

macca

Post by macca » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:51 pm

i love a happy ending
Believe it or not I look forward to your posts. I admit I was having a bad day, don't we all sometimes?

19 - 09 - 2011

doG

Post by doG » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:46 am

Yeah nah, those Hammerhead points are now in the bin, I've replaced them with screw in Puma Points.....nice and shiny aluminium. Very similar to the Target points, no lip between point and barrel eliminates bounce-outs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

doG
dOg...off his chain

sat

Post by sat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:29 am

ELIMINATES bounce-outs?

Yes, I am horribly literal.

Literal or not, how does that make any difference?

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:03 am

aluminum points, interesting. wonder if they'll bend when hitting wires & how long they'll last.
dollars to donuts you'll be getting more bounceouts though

daveboygreen

Post by daveboygreen » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:47 am

I have used multipoint darts for years on and off and found no better points to use than the Harrows Powerpoints, the collars on the points are superb, hold the point in place once you remove the dart from the board each time, they are also a lot slimmer than standard points but surprisingly very hard wearing.

doG

Post by doG » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:24 am

sat wrote:ELIMINATES bounce-outs?

Yes, I am horribly literal.

Literal or not, how does that make any difference?
Come on, get with the program !
The joining point between the barrel and the point is smooth, there is no lip like most 'straight points', the fluted point elimanates any chance the barrel lip will catch on a flight as straight points do.

doG
dOg...off his chain

doG

Post by doG » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:34 am

skweezit wrote:aluminum points, interesting. wonder if they'll bend when hitting wires & how long they'll last.
dollars to donuts you'll be getting more bounceouts though
Yeah nah how'd pilgrim, I think it's hardened aluminium. They seem pretty robust and my floor is carpet over wood so they just stick in should there be a bounce out, and thats' only when I throw a shocker and hit the number wire going for the double.
I don't get bounce-out's, as I've got a Bulls Advantage II board, it's the disputed best board in the world. Bounce outs are almost non-existent.

doG
dOg...off his chain

Lee Taylor

Post by Lee Taylor » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:32 am

Nice review (Can't believe I just typed that)

sat

Post by sat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:43 am

I see. I was thinking you meant from the board, not from another dart.

doG

Post by doG » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:43 pm

sat wrote:I see. I was thinking you meant from the board, not from another dart.
Please pay more attention in future, I am not in the habit of repeating myself, please go to the back of the class and stand in the corner with your nose touching both walls.

doG
dOg...off his chain